Upgrading a Gateway SX2800-07

Thank you for providing some useful information.

So I need four 2GB 1300MHz RAM modules, correct? Am I understanding correctly that my PC cannot use any 4GB modules?

As far as the graphics card, I may scrap the idea, or I may just take my chances. As I said, other owners of the same pc have successfully used this graphics card.

He can run either 2-4GB modules or 4-2GB modules. As long as he runs no more than 8GB total he can run either configuration! If I were doing upgrades I would max the memory out and be done. There is really nothing more you can do to it without upgrading the power supply and case. Anything more than a memory boost will cause instability issues either due to a lack of power or thermal restraints caused by the small form factor case.

BTW- you will have to stick to 1333 MHz Ram. With this being a mass market PC, your bios is going to be locked at 1333 MHz on the front side bus. If you purchase ram that is rated at a higher clock frequency, the bios will automatically down-clock the ram to 1333 MHz anyway, and could cause instability.

Ok... I think I've made a little progress here. After reading in many places that the power supply is nearly impossible to change... I think I may have actually found a psu that will work. I know nothing about the cables that attatch to PSUs, but this one will at least fit in dimensions alone.

ACPC | Power Supply | FLEX ATX 350W
Newegg.com - Athena Power AP-MFATX35 350W Mini ITX / Micro FLEX ATX / ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Here is a link to the OEM PSU. I'm told that it's dimensions are 8.9" x 3.6" x 2.1"

Flex ATX-220SI (220W Flex ATX12V)

As far as the graphics card... I found someone with the same pc claiming that this one was used (on the original 220w psu) with great results, and not too much heat. Looks good to me.

Amazon.com: HIS Radeon HD 5570 Silence 2 GB (128bit) DDR3 HDMI DL-DVI (HDCP) PCI Express 2.1 X16 Video Card Retail (RoHS) H557HO2G: Electronics

For the RAM, I plan to use two of these kits. Sorry guys, but I'm loyal to Kingston, and the other brands seem to have issues in there PCs from what I've read.

Amazon.com: Kingston Technology HyperX 4 GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 1333 (PC3 10666) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1333C9D3K2/4G: Electronics

If that's true familyman... it could save me a few bucks by getting a 2 x 4 gb kit instead of two 2 x 2GB kits. Is this accurate?

Opinions?

I pulled the Gateway apart again, so I could get a closer look at how the hard drive is setup, and verify the dimensions of the psu, and figure out exactly which cables I need.

The measurements of the psu are a bit different than what I had previously read. It is 8.1"L x 3.8"W x 2.1"T.

It has 4 cables that I was able to identify via an online chart.

(1) 20+4 ATX Main Power Cable
(2) SATA Power Cables
(1) ATX +12 Volt Power Cable

Here's a view of the inside of the PC with everything assembled except the side cover.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-05_23-57-29_249.jpg

Here's a view with the psu, HD and DVD drive removed.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-07_10-38-22_804.jpg

And here's a couple pics of the strange arrangement of the HD/DVD Drive.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-07_10-38-01_515.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-07_10-37-52_584.jpg

The power supply I posted the link to in my last post is going to work. i scoured the web and found some more detailed specs on it.

So here's my parts list...

Athena Power Mini ITX 350w Power Supply
Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB SATA II 3GB/s 2.5" SSD with Upgrade Bundle Kit
Hitachi 250GB 2.5" 5400 RPM SATA II Hard Drive 5K320-250 (used)
Silverstone SDP08 3.5" to 2 x 2.5" Bay Converter
HIS Radeon HD 5570 Silence 2GB (128 bit) DDR3 HDMI PCI-Express 2.1 x 16 Video Card
(2) Kingston HyperX 4GB Kits (2 x 2GB each) 1333MHz (PC 10666) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

I can do all of this for about $430. Does this all seem in order?

Would it be worth the $55 to upgrade the HD to a Hitachi 320GB 7200 RPM Drive?

What kinda of cables/adapters do I need for the hard drive setup?

Scratch that... I'm just gonna use the 2TB drive out of my external and get rid of my DVD Drive. I never use it and I have an external dvd burner if I ever need it. I found a kit to mount the 3.5" drive in place of it. That should free up a little airspace in the pc, and perhaps help with heat a bit. The driver is a Western Digital Caviar Green... so while it may not be the best, it won't be horrible, and it should be much better than than Hitachi laptop drive.

Something to think about is the fact that if you install the ssd in the hdd slot, you will have no room for a second hdd unless you are going to use it as an external drive.

Already got that covered. The SSD will be going into the original HD slot, but I will be removing the DVD drive, and putting a 2TB external hard drive in it's place. All my parts are ordered... just waiting to get them on Friday, then I'll be doing the surgery on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom