What do you think of christianity?

Oh boy, this thread may or may not be locked... we'll see how the discussion goes lol.

I would have to say that I'm a Christian but of no church affiliation. Personally I believe in the Bible but not church. When man tries to tell man what God's word says, you get false prophets who would twist the word of God into their own personal scare tactic. I don't force my belief on anyone else and understand that others may share similar or have different beliefs. You have to be open minded enough to know that you may not be right just as the Bible could be wrong. I just hate that there's so many people who would twist, what I believe to be the word of God, into a fallacy to get people to give up their hard earned money. That's all I see church as, a money maker.

I personally think, though, that the real problem is not in the Bible, or the Quran, or whatever other holy book may be out there. The problem is in fundamentalist radicals who believe that they're doing God's will. They believe that God talks to them or has some special purpose for them. Who knows, maybe they're right and I'm wrong but I can't see God wanting people dead. Just doesn't make sense if you actually read the Bible, and I mean the new testament, not the old "Kill a woman for speaking out of turn" Bible.

On the other hand, I can see why so many people would hate the Bible or any holy book and deny God. Man has come a long way in his time on this planet and it's easy to say that there is no God, especially considering the suffering that goes on today. That then rears the question of how we got here. Evolution? Alien Creators? or God...

With Evolution, you have to understand that each species has two very unique makeups, male and female, that would have had to evolve exactly the same to continue to be of the same species. There's simply too many male and female counterparts in nature to support evolution.

With Alien Creators, where is the evidence? The Pyramids? That's good evidence I would say, considering how perfectly square they are and how close they mimic the stars. Stonehenge, another good sign of Alien interference. It's not something I'm necessarily opposed to, just not my personal belief.

I'm sure that we can get some healthy discussion here and not start a religious war. If everyone understands that when they post, please don't trash other's beliefs (sure hope I didn't :confused: ). This is a good topic to be discussed I think and can yield some very interesting points.

+1

And what evidence is there for God?

You are incorrect that there are too many species for sexual reproduction to occur. Infact, technically it only needs to 'evolve' once, and all other sexual species evolve from it. This, as it happens, appears to be what occured with all sexual species, including us, having a common ancestor - the eukaryotic species. After that, the advantages of sexual reproduction (such as the sharing of advantagous genes) ensured that sexually reproducing species have a much higher survival rate in comparison to other species during natural selection.

The very fact that the christian religions foundation, the ressuruction of Christ, is told 4 times in the Bible - yet all 4 books contradict each other, leaves absolutlely no credability to the whole thing. IMO.

There's just no evidence, it's no different than a fatasy story. People, for some reason, just need it.

Would you be referencing the Gospels?

I'll be concise on my reply:

I believe in the laws of nature. I believe that nature behaves systematically, whether by design or by chance. Particular religions are rubbish. You name them, they're rubbish. Someone at some time decided to write the text. Why do I have to believe what they have to say? There's no proof. The fact that I don't follow any religion does not mean I'm atheist. I'm a deist. The plausibility of the initial conditions for the "Big-Bang" is about as good as the plausibility of the existence of a God. I believe that there is a God because that explanation is hopeful. It just suits my (and most) human nature.

edit: I didn't read the entire thread, but I caught a glimpse of Celegorm posting about Karma. I believe in Karma; I believe God incorporated Karma to behave consistently with the laws of the universe. Again, suits my nature, equally plausible.

+1

Would you be referencing the Gospels?
Gospels are written a hundred years apart by a few random people. The bible is written by a lot of random people. It's meant to be a lesson. Just like Greek/norse Mythology, or any other parable.

Re: What do you think of christianity? (56k No Way!)

You-Are-Disappointing_bongo.jpg

torque.jpg

Opinions Opinions! and personally i do belive in this religion

Opinion is the truth. I believe what I believe, and don't really care if people find it crazy, stupid, whatever.

I don't believe in any kind of god, or supreme being - But I respect other people's right to believe in what they want to believe, and won't really question it unless they question my beliefs! (or lack there of)

For as much as my opinion is worth:

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed, whereas religion is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

I would say this is true for many people. But what observation can you make that would disprove God? There hasn't been a major evolution in 2000 years and everything is as it was (I could be wrong on that, I'm not gonna lie :D). I made a quick comment earlier that there really is no 'proof' for God but... what about intelligent design? Again, this could just as easily be proof for Alien creators, true, but the laws of the universe and the universe itself?

Who really knows? Guess we either find out when we die or die and get reincarnated or just die and return to dust.

To the picture about Atheism being checkmate, not quite.
- Let's say that you were conducting an experiment. In this experiment you were observing the effects of a disease. Now, the test subjects are not aware of your existence, as this experiment is a social experiment of sorts. However, you not only hold the power to afflict people with the disease, but you also have the cure. Because you have the cure, do you give it to the subjects as soon as they start experiencing symptoms? Do you intervene before the death of the subject? What if you also had the power to bring them back to life? Would they understand your position? If your existence was rumored... would they challenge your ability to heal? Or challenge your existence itself? Probably. Now that doesn't mean that you do exist, but it also doesn't mean that you don't.
In the Bible, it more or less outlines this grand experiment that we're a part of. I'm gonna get a little religious here so if you're done reading, this would be a good spot to stop. Satan more or less challenged God's right to rule with the whole Adam and Eve fiasco. So, instead of just destroying everything, God let this question play out.
Given the opportunity, would man follow and obey God, or would they choose their own path?

I'm not stupid, I know that sounds far fetched, but if it were possible, how do your views on God change now? Do you hate the one who holds the power to 'cure' us? Do you 'respect' his grand plan? I don't have the answer and to each his/her own. I only pose the question...
- What if God really did exist and we were all subjects in a grand experiment? At the end of the experiment we all get reset to how we were supposed to be? There's simply too many beliefs to examine them all and I don't want to sit here and preach so I apologize if you feel that's what I'm doing. I gave you the opportunity to stop reading above ;) I'll stop.

Yeah, threads like this get locked quickly.

Personally, I'm a Christian, and try to act like one, though I definitely mess up a lot.

Never said there was evidence for God. One of those "take my word for it" kind of things, and yes, I know that sounds bad... lol

That's why they call it faith. You just have to take a leap of faith.

Back
Top Bottom