Should I buy this computer?

The first one is nice. However it uses an lga 1556 socket. That is being phased out now; so limited upgradability in the future.
The second one uses DDR2 memory. So it as well has an even more limited future. However, $400 is reasonable.
I would not sink in more than $800 for the first one. (That is with the monitor in mind.)
Both systems have a low end graphics card. So you would most likely be getting 30fps in medium. (That is bad.)

The GPUs aren't that bad. The GTS 450 and the HD 5750 are both perfectly doable cards still - the frames won't be epic but it would be sufficient if you're on a budget. I'd just like to put it out there, that i doubt you'd be able to get a machine to play on high at 1920x1200 for $400. Even used, high end gaming machines will retain their value and sell for around $800-1000 still.

You're not going to find 1155 in your price range, so you're going to have to consider perhaps opening your mind to AMD/Socket AM3 setups, or just continuing to look at the 1156.

Even on a budget you'll want to be looking at:

- DDR3 Memory - Double-Data Rate Version 3; this technology has been around for a while now - DDR3 is standard in almost all newer machines. It's faster than DDR2.

- Upper 5000/6000 series or GTX series GPUs - The newer generation of GPUs (the kind BF3 will be intending to run on) - such as the 5850, 6870, GTX 460, GTX 560 Ti etc.

- big drives because games + windows eats up space.

and so on.

im on an alienware aurora (it has a 5670) at my friends and its gotten 75 fps on ultra before but his connection will usually allow him 40-60 fps on ultra. so my small bit of knowlage tells me that the graphics in the second link is better than the one in this computer. this is World of Warcraft by the way. lemme know if im wrong, im new to this stuff.

WoW draws alot more from the Processor and RAM than from the GPU. Processing all that view distance, sunshafts etc. requires a decent CPU.

BF3 will be a 'realistic' looking game whereas WoW is deliberately alot more 'fantasy' or cartooney.

Back
Top Bottom