Print Spooler Won't Keep Running

cpu1111

Baseband Member
Hi all.

I was having trouble with my printer a while back and finally figured out that this was due to the print spooler not running.

Well, I went into services and set it to "automatically" run (it was on "manual"). It will work for like a day (even if I shut-down and restart), but then it reverts back to manual after a day to a few days.

It never did this before. Can you guys help me get it back to normal?

Thanks a lot!

ive never heard of a service going back to manual??

With spooler errors I usually make sure the OS if fully service packed and windows update run, also update all the printer drivers that might exist on the OS, Also check out this guide XP Printer Spooler Service Keeps Stopping

Last edited:
What version of windows are you running? I have heard of an issue with IE9 and printing. If you try to print something from the web with ie9 it cause the print spooler to stop.
As said above i would make sure the machine is patched and up to date. If that does not work it could possibly be your printer drivers. I would update your drivers for the printer.

ive never heard of a service going back to manual??

With spooler errors I usually make sure the OS if fully service packed and windows update run, also update all the printer drivers that might exist on the OS

That's exactly what's happening. I uninstalled the drivers, so I'm going to reinstall them and see how it goes. I'm going to use the disk that came with the printer, then perhaps run an update utility.

I'm on Vista and I don't think it has anything to do with IE9 seeing as I never use it.

Sorry to get back so late.

I deleted everything EPSON in my computer and re-installed the drivers from the disk that came with the printer.

The spooler still reverts back to manual after a day or two.

However, I did run an update-check and it found updated drivers for the printer and scanner, so I installed them today, reset the spooler to automatic, and we'll see how it goes.

If the printer is shared out, this may keep happening. I had to move the house's Laserjet from a Windows Vista (and later, Windows 7) to an XP system (!!!) to get the print spooler to stop misbehaving. I hope for your sake the driver fixes it however.

Well, my printer isn't shared. It only gets connected to my Vista through my USB cable.

I restarted my computer about 5 times, and the spooler stayed on automatic. Now, I just checked it and it says it's "started" but that it's now manual.

Apparently, there's something wrong with my spooler.

Back
Top Bottom