building my first gaming rig

Joe_Meng

Beta member
Hi, I cant get the video card bios screen to appear on my monitor. I'm pretty sure I have everything hooked up correctly, I've installed video cards before on my old pc but this is my first rig i'm building from scratch. Now the computer turns on, all fans spinning, CPU fan, video card fan.. they all are working but I cant seem to find out why the bios screen wont open.

specs:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 01G-P3-1563-AR Video Card
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Gaming Case
and a 500 watt rosewill power supply

i tried using a less demanding video card (8800gt) to see if that would work but it didnt. I thought maybe 500 watt ps wasnt enough but it should be working because all lights work and fans are spinning.

NOTE: I have 2 different hard drives but they arent connected yet and also no cd rom drives are in there either yet.

PLEASE HELP! thankyou!

Welcome to CF...

The way you posted your power supply leads me to believe that it's a hand me down or 'borrowed' gear lol. You can also try manually resetting the BIOS by either the dipswitches or the battery. The battery is easiest but most time consuming. Dipswitches, however, are instant but if you don't have the mobo manual, that motherboard is a no fly zone. You won't know what is what is what.
If that doesn't work, go to the power supply, pick one up from Best Buy, then if it doesn't work...well, you know what to do. No harm now foul. Make sure it's within 14 days though!!! I think they may have even downed it to seven... not sure though. The only other thing I can think of is to have you change the port that you're sticking the monitor into... I had this card once where it wouldn't show video on the , technically, 1st jack (Closest to the MB) which was odd, but no biggie. I wouldn't imagine that being the case though as you swapped out the vid card for another (Known Good right?) brand/make/model.

thanks for the warm welcome, you were sorta right about the PS, I was using that in my old comp and figured it was still decent. Well those days where 500 Watts was plenty is now bare minimum considering how much power I'm trying to push through this sucker. I do happen to have the mobo manual and not too sure on how to change the battery or do that other thing you mentioned but I'll do some research. And yes I was planning a trip to best buy today (you read my mind on that 100%) because I'm too excited to get this thing built and not waiting any longer for parts to come in the mail!

I hope I get this baby running.

With what you're trying to push, I would start by at least trying another power supply first.

As for the motherboard, there's a little silver round battery on it, pop it out for about an hour and then put it back in and viola, the motherboard is reset in a way.

I just purchased this power supply
Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,ATX12V v2.3/ EPS12V,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

i hope this solves the issue although im highly doubtful, something isnt right the bios should come up

ok so its not the PS... i'm stumped. all the parts are new and properly installed, fans start up lights and everything but no beap and no bios. I think i'm gonna cry lol

is your monitor showing that it recognizes a connection? if not it could be a faulty cord or you could have your monitor cable plugged into an integrated graphics slot on the mobo. (im at school and cant tell if that mobo has integrated) i hope its that simple :)

No Beep means, no POST- and no post means your PC isn't even getting as far looking for the boot sector.

Something in your PC is incorrectly installed or dead, most common components to go are GPU and memory. but it could literally be anything. You need to logically work out what it is by removing bits until the PC starts properly or you run out of bits.

Back
Top Bottom