cloud storage

ortho1121

Beta member
Don't know if this is the right category but I have questions re: cloud storage. Is this just about the same type service as remote backup? If I use cloud storage for my files do they still reside on my computer? Is it faster to access files directly from my computer as opposed to the cloud? I presently use Carbonite as my online backup and hace logmein to allow my accountant to access my books. Would something like Dropbox be better?

Dropbox keeps a replication of the data you have on their server, on your computer. So any change you make on your computer, is immediately made on their server. It is a wonderful service. Accessing files on your local computer will always be faster as the files are stored inside of your computer.
Files stored online first have to be retrieved before they can accessed. So for example, if the company (i.e. Carbonite) has their server in lets say Bora Bora, than your computer has to retrieve these files all the way from Bora Bora. Now, in the modern world this takes all but a couple of seconds, depending on the file of course, but it will still be faster on your computer. :)

So the files reside both on my computer and on their server? Is Dropbox really any different than Carbonite?

Cloud storage is a model of networked online storage where data is stored on multiple virtual servers, generally hosted by third parties, rather than being hosted on dedicated servers.

Back
Top Bottom