I just can't figure this out....

Jsnipe

Solid State Member
Hi, I play wolfenstien Et and have for years. I now am having a problem with my fps.
I can't hold a stable fps at all, and wolfenstein doesn't have the greatest graphics. I used to hold up to 333 fps with my 8500 gt 256mb graphic card, but when I got the problem I got another graphic card thinking that one broke. Also, I got I new hard drive cause I needed more space. So I no it's not either of those.

These are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, 2333 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Graphics: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1 gb ddr3

Ram: 2gb ocz ram

Mobo: Asus Nforce 650i P5N-e.

could it be somthing in my bios? if so is there a way I can restore them.

any help will be appreciated. :)

2 things. How many FPS are you getting now, and have you tried uninstalling all drivers and downloading new ones at the Nvidia website?

About 125, but it's bouncy. I just installed new drivers, and actually I just reformatted in hopes of fixing my probem. so all it has is the newer version. However I havn't messed with any firmware drivers.

I can think of a fairly simple fix if the issue is the fps jumping around (I can't imagine 125 being "too low.") What I would recommend is as follows:
Open up the nvidia control panel, go into application settings on the bottom tab, go through the process to add wolfenstein, and just add a line "forcing" a 60 FPS max.

If you want more FPS, even though it's unnecessary, I'd say it's probably a D3d/openGL issue and I'd need more info :D

no I don't have an unlocker. my temp is at 52

2nd no 125 is perfect I used to hold it no prob, but now it doesn't. 60 is to low

3rd I remember installing some firmware for a printer a couple years back around the time this started happening could that be conflicting it?

i may sound dumb, but a guy about 5 days ago mentioned same thing happening, turns out his power options werent set to high performance. hope its that simple of a problem. if not, think of it as a bump.

Why is 60 too low? The human eye can't tell a difference after either 21 or 23 (forgot what the magic number is).

What changed right before you noticed the drop? Windows updates, game patch, new anti-virus, install a new program that might be running something in the background? Assuming you put all of those back on when you reinstalled you could have re-introduced the "problem".

When it comes to firmware, really the only things routinely done by end users is flashing the BIOS. Some people find new firmware for video cards or hard drives for modding purposes or because support gave it to them to try and fix an issue with their hardware. At any rate, I'm not buying a firmware issue here. If your FPS was dropping to something like 2 or 3 FPS then maybe but 60 is very good all things considered. I'm putting my money on a software update of some kind, or a new program that you might have installed that's eating CPU time.

It is a big deal in competitive gaming especially an fps. It has a huge impact on mouse movement and tracking, and yes I can tell a difference.

2nd Actually the problem occurred wen I did a reformat. I don't know how or why but my fps is all over the place. I can't hold a stable frame rate period. I can reach 250+ on high graphics but no frame-rate is stable. even he I forced it to 60 fps like TheByteKnight suggested it still was constantly up and down :/

I've installed all my cds, drivers etc, but still nothing.

Back
Top Bottom