help with laptop overheat

sneaky1

Baseband Member
My dell xps laptop, seems to be turning on the fan every second , then off, then on...but very lightly. What does this mean?

My temps are

GPU: 56C
HD0: 41C
Temp1: 27C
Temp2: 0C
Core0: 50C
Core1: 50C

this is from speedfan 4.43

Are these temps bad, these temps are from using the laptop, that doesnt game, just browsing internet...

Also i got 2 blue screens of death so far
My garena and warcraft 3 programs dont work when i start them (they freeze so i have to end the process)
Once when i turned on the laptop, i got a beep noise like:
beep-beep-beep ... beep-beep-beep ... beep-beep-beep ... beep-beep-beep ... etc
i couldnt find this beep pattern on the dell website, they only seem to talk about other beep patterns

By the sounds of it, like most laptops has a collection of dust in-between the heat-sink and the fan which is located on top of the processor. Have you tried to take apart the laptop and remove the heat sink or is it too hard to get to ?

This would be my guess as 50 degrees is quite high for a mobile processor.

Google how to take your particular model apart and I guarantee that there is a bunch of dust and hair attached to the heat-sink.

Well, it also depends on the type of processor in the laptop. Like i have in Intel Atom n247 in an Asus EeePC 901, which has linux on it, but that thing would generate higher temperatures because its a combined CPU/GPU. Processors have different types of max temps. my recommendation is trying to do what arsenalbates mentions above, and also, possibly, adding some processor apoxy, and it could also be a problem with your fan controller on the mobo or the fan itself! i know, im having this problem now with a video card of mine...

[...]This would be my guess as 50 degrees is quite high for a mobile processor. [...]

The maximum CPU junction temperature is much higher than that!

The Intel i7-740QM mobile processor (used in Dell XPS notebook computers) has a maximum CPU junction temperature of 100 degrees centigrade.

my gpu is nvidea gt 420m
and cpu is
intel i3 380m
so are my temps ok?

i have a dell xps 15

how would i take apart the laptop and clean the fan?
do i need new parts or do i just have to clean my parts?

You're probably running a powerful program that's forcing you computer to work a little harder. Also instead of just shutting it, turn the whole thing off and take it off charger to give your laptop a bit of a break so it does not completely crash.

My dell xps laptop, seems to be turning on the fan every second , then off, then on...but very lightly. What does this mean?

My temps are

GPU: 56C
HD0: 41C
Temp1: 27C
Temp2: 0C
Core0: 50C
Core1: 50C

[...]

my gpu is nvidea gt 420m
and cpu is
intel i3 380m
so are my temps ok?

i have a dell xps 15

[...]

The temperatures that you posted are fine. Check out the specifications for a Intel i3-380M Processor:

TJUNCTION 90°C for rPGA, 105°C for BGA

The maximum Nvidia GeForce GT 420M GPU junction temperature is around 95 degrees Celsius.

Back
Top Bottom