Stuff that scares you with computers...

Basically what my computer's been doing lately. video driver crashes and running hotter than 35c with a new fan. I consider myself ocd with computers.

When I do a computer build and everything looks good and i power it up and nothing happens. That scares me since then I have to diagnose everything and potentially deal with returning a part.

Running into strange problems i have never heard of ever happening. like my friends computer that doesn't turn on unless you open the case unplug the 24pin motherboard connector and plug it back in. To this day I cant figure it out.

- Installing/updating GPU drivers and you forget that's running in the background while looking for other drivers or w/e, and the screen flicks off for a few seconds while the drivers go in, i keep going SH-... oh it's just the drivers going in.

Too often this happens, gives me a small heart attack.

oh, let me add... moving over SQL databases and websites. Boy that's always fun!

Gotta move our CRM (vTiger) to a new server at work, and upgrade it aswell. I've done it plenty of times with Joomla! sites but vTiger seems more temperamental...

For me, there's a few.

When I flash a BIOS, when I solder new caps that don't match the originals, when I fix a PSU, when I do crazy wiring to the PC, when I smell burnt that doesn't come out of a PC. I also fear thermal pads...and installing GPU drivers on a client machine.

+1 for moving databases.
+1 for flashing BIOS & soldering ANYTHING on a PC really
+1 for inconsistent problems
+1 for graphic driver and UAC screen flash.

Installing a CPU that was pre-Zero Insertion Force. (Bent CPU pins ARGH!)
Opening up a Dell 2-U server to troubleshoot.
"ATTN: ERROR" Messages. Nothing to go by. No code. No description. Something, somewhere, messed up. Love it.
Hitting the power button, and...nothing.
Making hard drive images of your OS drives. Hoping everything will return to normal.

When your gpu gets to 80C and both monitors checker pattern all over and the system freezes. Now THAT'S scary! (No thermal paste, amazing what happens when you reapply the AS5 that went poof over the months)

Whenever theres a Ubuntu upgrade. This causes problems with the kernel and Grub not
playing together the way that they should and affects new program installs. Other than
that, fake spoof sites trying to access my personal information is quite disturbing and
frightening. I recently got an email from such a site claiming to be Paypal and wanted
me too sign on and take a look at the new fantastic updates to the site.

Back
Top Bottom