choosing hardware

badabing1995

Beta member
hello everyone,
i'm Jarrad 15 years old and i have decided to build my own computer. i'm relatively new to actually being inside the case haha. to start off with i think i'm going to go with the NZXT H2 pc case since it's quite cheap and a good starter my goal is to have 4tb hard drive and 16gb of ram. so far for hardware i'm going with x4 1tb western digital hard drives, x4 4gb g.skill rip jaws and a revolution 85+ psu. what i need help with is pretty much picking everything else, if someone could help me out on what mother board i should get and what else would go with it.

sorry if i sound retarded i'm new to this i'm sure you will under stand, any help would be great :cool:

I would advise researching as much as you can about each part and how it all goes together work out your budget and what you really need and go from there 16g is alot of ram, probobly much more than you need and very expensive and you can always add ram and storage later on, the web has everything you need to know, youtube is great and ask questions on this forum if your not sure, good luck with the build

Hi There, welcome to the forum!

BTW - you don't sound retarded - But I think your best start is to evaluate what you want the computer to do, and how much you are willing to spend on it.

When you say:
my goal is to have 4tb hard drive and 16gb of ram.

That is the goal for the first build? or over a few years?

Ask yourself, are you really going to be using 4TB of storage / backup? What are you going to need 16GB of RAM to do, that 8GB wouldn't handle?
If you are putting that sort of hardware into a system, it only seems right to put a proccessor that will also deliver big power, so you could look at the new i7 2600k sandybridge, or the i7 processors. That coupled with a decent motherboard alone, you could be looking at least £450-£500 GBP ($700 USD).

Thats for just your Motherboard and CPU.

Ontop of that, you need to think about Opertaing System, Monitor(s?) Graphics Card(s?) sound cards, coolers/fans/heatsinks. Hard drives / optical drives / media drives, keyboard/mouse ... etc etc etc

If you havent already read up about RAID, for your TB Disks, and see if you would benefit from it. If so, what particular RAID type would suit you best.

If you did want an example of a MOBO, and a CPU you could potentially go for something like this:
Asus Rampage III Extreme X58 Socket 1366 8 Channel HD.. | Ebuyer.com

and this:

Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz Socket 1366 8MB L3 Cache.. | Ebuyer.com

Just as an example. But thats a lot of money to be throwing at a system!

thanks for the advise aussie13 i appreciate it ;)

i guess to start of with 8gb ram would be great for what i need, 4tb of storage and 16 gb of ram is probably something that i will try to get later on when everything is done and i actually need it. i will have a look at the mother boards, thanks for the links your very helpful. :D

You will never actually 'need' 16GB of RAM unless you're running a server with several hundred users on your domain.

8GB is overkill really, for almost everything. Unless you have a serious Blu-Ray addiction or every game that's been released since the start of the millenium then i doubt you'll ever fill 4TB :p

To avoid wasting money on something that will go obsolete in a year or two, have a look at this.

Mobo: Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP67DEB3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Chip: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600

I would recomend you choose a motherboard with a x58 chipset. That will insure long life for your new build. EVGA is a very reliable brand for motherboards. If you going for that much storage you will wanna run a RAID array. Preferably in RAID 5 or 6. A pair of nvidia gtx 460 cards would take on any video game. Antec has a very nice 750W powersupply that I installed in a clients system as a upgrade and it is working flawlessly. Also, if you arn't installing a blue-ray drive use a ide dvd burner or reader. It frees up sata ports for more important things.

lmao thanks man ;) i really just need something fast with plenty of room for movies, photo's, loooooooooooots of music games ect. the mobo you linked is defiantly much more closer to my price range so i'll most likely go with that :)

Back
Top Bottom