PS3 on computer monitor?

superman22x

Golden Master
How I go about doing it? I don't have my own TV when I go back to school, but I might get a new monitor this summer, so I was thinking about getting one that would allow me to use my PS3 as well as my computer.
Like would something like this work:
Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers

Also, how would I go about doing audio? I have an optical port on my mobo and one on the PS3, would that work to output to my computer speakers?

But what about audio? I don't want to use the monitor's speakers, I want my surround sound, lol.

Not overly sure about that, it's difficult since the monitor has no other audio out (or so the description says)

surely someone here will know

EDIT: the monitor comes with a 3.5mm cable, so it must have a 3.5mm out.

so,

PS3 -> HDMI into Monitor -> Monitor's 3.5mm into speakers

EDIT: the monitor comes with a 3.5mm cable, so it must have a 3.5mm out.
Am I missing something or is the 3.5mm cable most likely for the input not the output?!

According to the reviews I have just looked up (Amazon is an amazing thing :p) and the tech specs on the ASUS website, that monitor does indeed have a 3.5mm output for sound. It's marketed for earphone output, but a standard set of stereo speakers will work fine.

If you fancy a better set up, or your speakers are a fancy SPDIF supporting setup, then you can simply use the output from the PS3.

Hope that helps.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS VH242H 23.6-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Display- ASUS VH242H (Check under input/output and you will see "Earphone jack 3.5mm Mini-jack".

Hope that's helpful.

Back
Top Bottom