new case fan running slow

No way in hell am I reinstalling my old fan it sounds like a tractor. I read those comments before I even thought about buying I just assumed that the case didn't have to be burning up to get anything higher than the lowest speed it can do.

Well are these temperatures worth worrying about?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and that's pretty much idle

Sounds like it is probably just being controlled by the motherboard. You should be able to disable the thermal fan control in the bios.

Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting the fan to run at a higher speed with those temperatures anyway?

Sorry, just read your last post. You've absolutely no problems at those temperatures. Check them under load though. Under load, they shouldn't get much higher than about 65 degrees. But don't worry too much unless they're constantly over about 75ish. Even then, the CPU will cope just fine.

I remember in the good old day's of the Athlon Thunderbirds, I was always running at about 68 idle, and 80 under load :O.

Sounds like it is probably just being controlled by the motherboard. You should be able to disable the thermal fan control in the bios.

Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting the fan to run at a higher speed with those temperatures anyway?

Sorry, just read your last post. You've absolutely no problems at those temperatures. Check them under load though. Under load, they shouldn't get much higher than about 65 degrees. But don't worry too much unless they're constantly over about 75ish. Even then, the CPU will cope just fine.

I remember in the good old day's of the Athlon Thunderbirds, I was always running at about 68 idle, and 80 under load :O.

your implying they aren't bad? I think I have ocd with certain aspects of my computer it used to run 33-35 idle. Also does anyone know if this fan actually has a sensor for temp on the fan itself? I am just wondering since it didn't change much in speed when plugged into the psu
if there is a sensor on the fan I think I have an idea since the fan is right below where my psu sucks air out of the case it might be interfering with that sensor.
also my old cpu fan speed was 1900 rpm now its 2300 rpm if that means anything.

I'm not emplying, I'm telling you. Those temperatures are absolutely fine. Personally, I would take that fan out and see if it makes that much of a difference to your temperatures. I'd value the reduction in noise levels over 4 or 5 degrees in CPU/Mobo temps.

The change in fan speeds could be due to a number of things. The properties of the fan, how is responds to the speed signal/voltage etc etc. Any sensors will be on the motherboard itself, and using these senors, the BIOS monitors the temperature and changes the fan speeds accordingly - should the fans be connected to the motherboard and support variable speed. The fact that you can monitor the speeds says that this is most likely the case.

Again, those temperatures are fine. And again, don't start worrying unless it's constantly over about 75ish or sitting idle at 65. Sure, it's better having it lower, but it's absolutely fine even at these perceivably 'high' temperatures. Thermal throttling doesn't kick in till a bit more anyway.

It's pretty quiet as is so I think I will leave the fan in. The cpu fan and psu make more noise anyway. come to think of it my old rig with athlon xp 1800 processor idled at 55c but ran ok but I think that was due to lack of case ventilation in those older beige cases

Edit: I'll likely be replacing this rig next year anyway.

I guess speedfan s fire warnings for hot are a little misleading. I just thought it might have been means for concern but then again I'm just paranoid.

It's pretty quiet as is so I think I will leave the fan in. The cpu fan and psu make more noise anyway. come to think of it my old rig with athlon xp 1800 processor idled at 55c but ran ok but I think that was due to lack of case ventilation in those older beige cases

Edit: I'll likely be replacing this rig next year anyway.

I guess speedfan s fire warnings for hot are a little misleading. I just thought it might have been means for concern but then again I'm just paranoid.

Just paranoid dude. Perhaps the monitoring software alarm defaults are set wrong. But seriously, I wouldn't bat an eye lid at those temps. Infact, to me, those temperatures are speaking to me, and they're saying "Give me more volts and a higher FSB!" :p

Chris.

the cores reaching 50 is ok too? because they get quite hot maybe even 60 ish when I play a game. I encountered something that didn't ever happen before where the whole screen goes black for a few seconds and comes back saying the display driver stopped responding but has recovered. I just updated not to long ago to new drivers too. But could that be overheating the videocard causing this or could this just be a coincidence?

I know sorry paranoid again :)

edit: hows 75c for a gpu? while gaming nothing big just minecraft?

CPU temps at 60 degrees under load is perfectly fine. With regards to your video driver, make sure it is WQHL certified (Windows Quality Hardware Labs)- use the latest versions that are.

Also, if your using an AMD/ATI graphics card you can monitor the temperature of the card in the catalyst control centre. In addition, some of the later cards have thermal throttling features, so I'd imagine that the problem is not heat related but more of a software/driver issue. There is also the possiblity that your PSU might not be up to the challenge or a number of BIOS settings, clock frequencies, etc etc are set right. Your best posting your full system specs, what your current clock speeds and ratios are and what version of the drivers you are using.

Btw, don't be alarmed if you see your GPU temperatures being a lot higher (~80 under load) than your CPU. They naturally run hotter. Get worried if they breach 95 degrees though.

But, back to the point, I don't think temps are the problem. Check the drivers, and if they are WHQL certified, post your specs and we'll take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom