is it good to keep charger on computer?

If you are not going to use the batteries, then I recommend taking them out. If you plan on not using them for a long time, then store them at 40% charge. or whatever your laptop manufacturer recommends.

ok so keeping it on the charger while in use is a bad thing and if i need to store them i do it at %40

NO, it is not.

i can't agree more! If you want to retain your battery life:

1. charge to 100%
  2. unplug
  3. discharge to 0%
  4. goto 1

it's painful, but your battery is lean and mean. Otherwise, after 2 or 3 years, your battery will go from 100 to 0 in 8 minutes

Most notebook computer batteries use Lithium Ion cells. Lithium Ion cells degrade faster if they are kept at 100% state of charge, especially if at an elevated temperature such as in an operating notebook computer.

Most of the time that I use my notebook computer it is plugged into shore power. If I'm not planning to operate off batteries for a while, I charge the battery to about 40%, place it in a sealed ziplock bag, and place it in the refrigerator. The cool environment will help preserve the useful life of the battery. The catch is that If I want to use the battery, I have to let it warm up overnight. (When allowing the battery to warm to room temperature, be sure to keep it in the zip lock bag so that moisture doesn't condense on the battery.) I have notebook batteries that are 4 and 6 years old that still retain almost all of their original capacity. Of course, they don't get used much either.

haha funny thing. i bought this computer used and have been keeping it on the charger for a week or so ,i saw what you guys said and took it off of the charger. in 10 mins it was at 10%. but thank you for the info when i get a new battery i will do that.

Don't charge it to 100%.

Try and get a software suite that keeps it charged between 30% to 70%.

Lithium Ion cells are good for what they are, but they are quite possibly the most volatile type of cell used in consumer items. The membranes inside the cell on the annode corrodes regardless of its charge state, however, having it fully charged accelerates this. Having it fully discharged is equally as harmful. In addition, the rate of ware is also temperature dependant - and as we all know, laptops can get quite toasty.

So, if you want to prolong the life of your cell to it's maximum and usually sit with your laptop on charge, charge the battery to about 70%, take it out, put it in a air tight container and plonk it in the fridge. It'll then last far far longer. Of course, that's hardly practical if your on the move a lot.

I'm pretty sure IBM have a software tool that allows you to pre-set the maximum to charge the battery to. I had it in an old X40. It will likely work with any other laptop I'd imagine. Set it to a max of 70% and perhaps automatic shut down at 20%. You'll only get ~50% of the usage out of it per charge (actually, due to the tollerances in the battery monitoring software causing non-linearity, you'd perhaps get more :D), but it'll prolong the life of the battery to about that of the laptop itself.

Car manufacturers use this technique to prolong the life of the battery packs in electric and hybride vehicles - where the long term cost of battery replacements would prohibit the total cost of ownership, of said electric vehicles, from being competitive.

There ya go, an answer, a bit of an explination, and a suggestion.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom