Want to get a new desktop

iMiracle

Solid State Member
Hey guys! As you can see from the title, I plan to get a new desktop, which will be used for gaming 80% of the time, and the other 20% will be used for Internet surfing. Which computer/parts do you guys recommend? I'm a COMPLETE IDIOT when it comes to tech stuff, so I do appreciate the help. Thanks!

Some say larger ram is better, while others say gHz is better. Can someone explain these two and clear this up?

You want balance between both.
CPU processes, while RAM is like...hmm.
RAM stands for randomly allocated memory. Think of it as kitchen counter space. More space, faster you can get things done, (because you don't have to move things around so much). But even if you have big amounts of RAM, if your CPU is slow, it won't need all that much.
If you have super fast CPU but little RAM, it won't be able to perform to its full capacity.

I don't know if that makes sense...
do you want me to find you some deals on kits?

Yes, that will be nice. Budget is around $1500. I saw an i5 processor, 6GB Ram and 3.1gHz

Welcome back IMiracle.

I assume you are from america? Ill give you a little help too!

With your budget, what are you expecting to get? Everything? Monitor? Mouse etc? Something that you can just flick a switch and it works? Or do you fancy trying to put together your own pc and buy the individual bits (Will save you a bit on $ probably). Also what games will you be playing? Fairly new / intensive ones? (Like crysis / crysis 2) or just normal desktop games / java games / WOW.

Some say larger ram is better, while others say gHz is better. Can someone explain these two and clear this up?

GHZ is the speed that the memory performs, the number on the RAM is the 'amount' of it. Obviously the higher the better, but whats the point in spending money if you dont need to... E.G. Why buy a Porsche if all you do is drive to work and back. Ok if you've got the money I suppose, but something a bit more reliable that does the job would be better! (way too many analogies going around at the moment!)

Depending on your needs depends on what I'd recommend, get back to us.

I'm not from America, but you can give me a price and I'll convert in to my own currency (Singapore Dollars). I'm not sure if I want to assemble one or not, but let's assume that I want to(Since I already have a ready-made desktop in mind - HP Pavalion Slimline s5788d PC). I don't plan to play games like Crysis and such, as I'll most likely be sticking to Team Fortress 2, Terraria, Warcraft 3, and some other steam games. Can you recommend some parts for assembling?

OK, because I don't really know computer site / places that deliver to Singapore, I'll give you some parts etc to look out for, and also general rules when putting it together.

Generally, If you buy an AMD Processor, you will save yourself a bit (Not masses) of money, and get yourself more bang for your buck (more for your money!).

Best thing to do is start with the MOBO and A CPU (Processor) and build everything around that. You will want to get yourself a MOBO (Motherboard) that is DDR3 Compatible. DDR3 is the newest type of RAM that is on the market - and isn't much more expensive than the older types of RAM (DDR2 etc) as they are stop being produced as much. DDr3 is also faster, and compatible with more modern technologies. For your needs I would suggest 4GB of DDR3 RAM would be fine. Perhaps 6GB maybe, but definately not necessary. Pretty much all new MOBO's can be upgraded to hold more RAM at a later date anyway (Unless you buy a pre-built system from a company)

After that get a CPU that will fit. At the moment, and with your budget, you should probably be looking at either a decent quad core AMD Processor (Look at the Phenom II x 4 range, or the Newer Phenom 6 core processor), or if you are going intel, the i3/i5/i7 range. The i5 probably best, i7 might be out of budget. Intel also has the new sandybridge processors, in particular the i5 2500k is decent, and probably in price (But double check compatibilty with your board)

Once you have decided on those 3 (RAM, CPU, and MOBO) get a case, so you know everything is going to fit, and pick up the extra's like a decent branded PSU, heatsink, fans, graphics cards, drives etc, and anything extra like peripherals. (Keyboard, monitor O.S etc etc)

And a side note - on the O.S. front (Operating system - E.G. Windows) make sure you get 64bit version, so you can utilise all your potential RAM wise.

Ill give you a while to digest all that!

Back
Top Bottom