can i upgrade ide to sata?

btm8595

Solid State Member
i have a laptop that uses ide for its internal hard drive. it loads pretty slowly. i want to upgrade to a different hard drive. i have heard of a sata hard drive.

1. is sata better than ide?

2. is it even possible to switch them?

3. how much would it cost to do so?

thank you.

No, simply speaking, it's not.

IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics or 'PATA') is a Parallel method of data transfer. It uses 40 to 50 pins depending on where it's being used and a 4-pin MOLEX connector. SATA (Serial Advanced Technology attachment) is serial, as it's name suggests, and uses 7 pins for data transfer, and 15 pins for it's power.

If a laptop uses IDE drives, it will only have a Parallel drive port on the motherboard, and obviously, logic dictates that a Serial drive won't work on a Parallel connector, pin arrangement aside.

Parallel ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can get all kinds of active SATA bridges and adapters, but none of them would fit in a laptop, and if there's IDE anywhere in the chain, it's limited to that speed anyway. A connection is only as fast as it's slowest section.

thank you. now im not very experienced in computers yet so correct me if what im saying doesn't make sense or is wrong. is there anyway that i can upgrade my hard drive to run faster or more rpm's. or is it my processor that is making it run slowly. my laptop has 2 Intel Pentium 4 processors at 3.2 ghz each. from what im told thats pretty good. all i know is that my laptop takes forever to load levels and startup windows. so is there anything i can do about it or do i have to wait 10 mins each time i want to play games.

in a laptop you can not do it. If it was a desktop you could use adaptors (IDE to SATA) or even buy a SATA PCI card. But laptops have limited space and there are no room for adaptors or expansion cards

It's likely your laptop has a 4800rpm or 5400rpm HDD. If so, you could replace it with a 7200rpm drive for a small performance increase. What brand/model is your laptop?

my laptop is an alienware area51 m7700 how do i check to see how many rpm's my hard drive runs at?

Back
Top Bottom