Get Rid of HP Battery Warning

cpu1111

Baseband Member
When I turn on my computer, the first thing that comes up is a message from hp that my battery should be replaced: "HP Battery Alert
The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low.
For optimal performance, this battery may need to be replaced.
Primary (internal) Battery (601)
ENTER - Continue Startup"

Is there anyway to get rid of this without buying a new battery?

There should be an option in BIOS to disable warnings on startup. Take a look and see if that applies.

I checked in the BIOS and did not see the option. I put the battery back in and the message is back, so at least I know what the definite cause is...now how to eliminate it without buying a new battery.

I did some browsing in the HP FAQ found some interesting things.

Q: Can the HP Battery Alert be disabled?

A: No, the HP Battery Alert can not be disabled.
Q: Can I bypass or skip the HP Battery Alert message?

A: The HP Battery Alert message appears for a period of 15 seconds, after which the notebook PC will automatically continue starting up. After seeing the HP Battery Alert message appear, you may depress the Enter key to have the notebook PC continue starting up before the 15 second period lapses.
Q:Which HP notebook PC models support the HP Battery Alert?

A: HP and Compaq branded business and consumer notebook PC models announced June 2008 and later include and support the HP Battery Check utility. The HP Battery Alert message supports HP and Compaq branded primary and secondary batteries for these models and does not support third party batteries. The HP Battery Alert message is not available for or supported on HP or Compaq branded business or consumer notebook PC models announced prior to June 2008.
So, is this something I'm just not going to be able to get rid of?

Thanks for your help.

You already have two solutions: run the machine without a battery in, or knuckle down and buy a replacement battery. You don't specify which model HP laptop you have, but eBay shows batteries for Pavilion laptops starting under $20.

Yeah, you're right. I'm just curious now if there even is a way to get rid of this message without removing the battery.

lol, I just checked the name and realized that was you, :eek:.

Anyway, I see your point. At least now I know that I did my best at trying to get rid of this.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom