printer not working

billozz

In Runtime
sorry not sure if this is in the right place but i have an epson stylus photo r240. it will not print anything i send to it but if i use the controls on the printer i can print a test sheet or align the heads etc, so i know the printer is working, i thought it might be the cable but i have swopped the one from my scanner( i know the scanner works) and that doesnt work either, can anyone suggest why a printer wouls just stop working like that. the first time i remember there being a problem printing was when i tried to print a screendump(not sure if thats what you call it the key next to f12 prtsc not sure if that would have caused aproblem but thats the first time i can remember a problem
thanks very much
Bill

no replies!! obvoiously a tricky one. can anyone tell me if amber lights on the printer panel mean anything i have looked at the epson site but could not see a dddownload for the manual or anything to help with error lights (im not sure the lights indicate an error but would like to check it out)
thanks
Bill

Might check your print spooler and make sure there is no documents pending waiting to be printed. Happens to me with my hp printer every now and then, when I try to cancel print it wont, have to go though a routine to get rid of the document to print again.

Uninstall and then reinstall the Printer on your PC.
i did this and when i restarted the computer after uninstalling the printer, the docs id been trying to print printed out.
however i reinstalled the printer and ....nothing i dont understand
please dont be misled by my signature i now have an aspire acer 7735z....not sure if it makes any difference
thanks again
Bill

Try a different printer (borrow one from friends or family) and see if it's a problem with your computer or a problem with your printer.

ok here's what happens now the only way i can get it to print is if i ask it to print then turn off the computer and back on again and it prints, its as if when it starts up the computer recognises the printer and prints maybe its checking all ports to see whts connected and finds a printer with print jobs waiting, a soon as it prints thought it will not print anything else unless i switch off and on again
any ideas please
Bill

Ensure that the cables are properly connected; you need to ensure that your printer is properly connected, and plugged in, and also the cable is accurately connected to the computer as well.

Check the power; make sure that the printer's power is switched on, ensure that all the computer necessary computer components are also turned on.

Make sure that the hardware is properly plugged in, and also turned on. Apply troubleshooting.

A troubleshooter is a tool, which is generated automatically and which can easily fix the problems that occur with your system.

Thus, if you are coming across different issues related to your printer, then you can consult the troubleshooter.

You require driver applications to run your hardware devices.

Make sure that the drivers are not outdated, corrupt, or incompatible, resulting in disrupting the communication between the printer and the computer.

Always make sure that you are making use of the most recent and latest device drivers, and also that are compatible with your system requirements and specifications, as this can be extremely useful in resolving printer issues.

ok i have taken all the advice above, if i connect to another computer the printer works ok no probs so it must be something to do with communication between my computer and printer, am sure i have the right port configured. the only thing that bothers me is in the printers folder-properties, it shows the port as virtual usb port for epson r240, what does virtual mean? should the port be configured differently
thanks again for the help
Bill

i have just treid to reinstall the driver for the printer but cant download from epson, any ideas where else i could get it please also do i have to delete the old driver or does it overwrite, also where on comp are the drivers kept just wanna check that there is a driver there sound s daft but just to be sure
thanks

Back
Top Bottom