help with netgear WNA3100 USB wifi antenna

nerdy_waffle

Solid State Member
I have recently bought a Netgear WNA3100 USB wifi antenna and use the softwear that came with it, I am trying to connect to an access point thats sorta far away but my antenna picks p the signal wel enough (50-60% signal streangth depending of weather) and it worked just fine for a while then one day the connection messed up and I checked the software and it no longer says "connected to internet" but "connected to router" and wont let me browse. I have tried re-installing the software, moving the actual router, moving my antenna, but it still will connect to the internet then I will start browsing again and it will disconnect and connect back to the router, anybody have any ideas that can help?

sounds like it may be giving a false signal or something is interfering with it also some routers and wifi cards will lower your bandwidth to give a better signal so it could be lowering your bandwidth so low its not got enough to connect and when you start browsing it has to give a little more therefor killing your signal I have had issues with this as well not much you can really do accept buy a better antenna depending on how far you need to go you can get 7,9,12,15, or even 25 db antennas off ebay for less than $30 and they will definatly improve your signal alot. there could be other things going wrong as well though but going off what your saying id say this is more than likely your issue if you can tell me about how far away the router is your connecting to and what kind of obsticles are in the way I can help you find a good antenna for cheap

the router is about 150 feet away and slightly lower then my antenna, there are four wall the signal also has to go through. I know the distance kinda far but my antenna seems to pick it up just fine though, and thanks for the reply!

150 feet on a stock antenna is far your getting good signal but your router is lowering the bandwidth so much that when you try to use it it just cuts off, if you have access to the router then buy a 9dbi antenna for it if not you could try a range extender that plugs in the wall but there about 80-90 bucks

Yes you have helped, I'm going to start looking for an extender (although I'm not sure how well my aunt will like MORE things hanging off her wall for my internet access :) if you can think of anything else that might help please let me know.

thanx for the link, the only problem I see with it is that the router i'm using has four internal antennas, I imagine those will be a little harder to change out

Back
Top Bottom