thinking about upgrading my home pc, any thoughts?

Nice, seems like a decent increase of power. I would a least go with a superclocked GTX 460, it's both cheap and powerful or go with a GTX 560 which is slightly more expensive.

looks like a nice upgrade, I would also recommend a SSD hard drive if you can afford it, It will give you a bit more of a speed bost

Yeah an SSD for the operating system if you can afford it, the only bad thing about SSD's is that they are a bit on the expensive side right now. It's also not a good idea to use them for data or other files where you would be constantly reading/writing from and to the HDD. May I ask why not Intel for the CPU? Intel may be a bit more expensive but it usually offers the best bang for the buck as far as raw performance is concerned. The Sandy Bridge cpu's are amazing, better than what AMD is offering and the upcoming Ivy Bridge is going to be pure awesome with Intel's new transistor technology.

well i dont have an AMD style MB so i dont want to do a pretty much complete rebuild just upgrade some of the general parts for performance... and i was also thinking about adding a SSD drive, just forgot to add it to the list

Yeah an SSD for the operating system if you can afford it, the only bad thing about SSD's is that they are a bit on the expensive side right now.
You can pickup a good SSD for cheap on ebay, You can get a 16gb drive as this should be enough for an OS

That's good, however I tend to avoid ebay myself. I don't really like the company, the fees, the fact you need a Paypal account and you also have to link your Paypal account to your bank account. Not to mention my account is restricted due to an unpaid fee from when I sold my old PC.

That's moot anyways since this isn't about me, and the op can use ebay. I'd be careful not to get scammed, ebay is a popular place to advertise fake/counterfeit Chinese knockoffs.

Man your paying almost half the cost of a new computer with that upgrade! If you're going to pay that much it seems like you'd want to make a mobo transition for DDR3 at the very least, but just my 2 cents.

Man your paying almost half the cost of a new computer with that upgrade! If you're going to pay that much it seems like you'd want to make a mobo transition for DDR3 at the very least, but just my 2 cents.

I totally agree.
Your upgrade seems fine. But if it were me, I'll change the mobo. If I was on a budget, I would get a cheaper CPU and still change the mobo.

Back
Top Bottom