laptop running poorly...

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
Needing a little help with this issue im having... i thought at first it was my laptop was overheating due to the original heatsink compound it came with so i switched it out and it made the laptop run a little bit cooler but not much... it all started when i was talking to my wife on skype(currently deployed), i wasnt using video just phone to phone chat and my computer would get up to about 150*F(65*C). once about 10-15 mins into our conversation my screen would either go black or distort then go black, then i would have to manually turn off my laptop. Then i waited 10-15 sec and tried turning it back on and it wouldnt turn on unless i let it cool down(usually held it in front of the AC vent for about 5 mins)... well after i put the new compound on i turned it back on and it still wanted to do the same thing and is still running at temps of about 130*F(55*C) and thats just running firefox and CPUID Hardware Monitor to keep track of the heat...

what i was wondering was if anyone knew of any programs i could use to diagnose every piece of my hardware to see if there are any faults or if you have any suggestions on the issue...

I assume when you redid the thermal compound you also made sure the heatsink, fan and shroud were clean and free of dirt and lint. Is the fan operational? Maybe you accidentally disconnected the fan when you redid the compound. What is the ambient temperature of the room you are operating the laptop in?

One thing that may help as a last resort would be one of those laptop cooling pads.

answer to all questions...
1. the heatsink and fan were cleaned and free of lint
2. the fan itself was actually cleaned first, i thought that was the issue at first
3. the fan works perfectly and still runs like new
4. and the temp in the room is roughly 65*f with a cooling pad under it

and i ended up looking up the model of my laptop and i found out that the motherboard has issues overheating and break down alot, i havent heard of anything to fix the issue or resolve my problem, i bought the laptop right after basic training and needed something quickly.

Back
Top Bottom