"Hello, you just got owned"

If it were me doing this, I would Soooo grab the db. I'm sure the passwords are encrypted, but i doubt the info, emails, etc is. But what sensitive info is kept here? The worst they could do, is get my junk email address and spam me or know the City in which i live. Unless I don't know something....

Lol, no we don't house anything that you don't enter, just curious if they would even bother with it.

Lol, no we don't house anything that you don't enter, just curious if they would even bother with it.

well the only thing i know these forums do store, beyond a user entering is the IP of the poster. Even thought that may change depending on your ISP, but someone who hacks into a forum can get access to that information. That's what gives you the ability to ban people, if I'm not mistaken.

Glad we got back up quickly.
I must comment on that page they put up, they weren't so stuck in the 90's with that one haha.
I hope JCB is doing everything to keep this from happening again.

By the way, what exactly was the vulnerability?

So you doubt anything was stolen? (User account information, etc)
Nah, it's unlikely. If they were that intent on doing damage they could have changed much more than the home page. Probably Googled around for VB forums without a certain patch, applied a script they downloaded without really knowing how it works and then whacked up a home page with a few marquee tags. They don't get the script kiddie name without a reason :p

although the changing the home page was pretty cool, I would have quietly and gently set up some kind of sniffer that would collect data and send to an external source as an information gathering thing.

Or a script that would intermittently change the home page on the server for a few seconds, than back again.

Furthermore, did they wipe everything out of the directories, or just change index.php? I hope the forum was completely restored from a backup, because from my scenario 1 above, there could be data being sent out, and you'll never know until you log and inspect the network activity (or go digging through the code)

Hi

Dont worry, the only thing that was changed was index.php. I ran a compaire program and that was the only file that had changed.

Our passwords as safe as well, they are encrypted in a mysql database so they can not be cracked

...so they can not be cracked

... any encryption, can be decrypted given enough time. From a quick search, vBulletin uses MD5 encyption, so our passwords look like this: 9572aa224080351a05f5a96c3fb8f37e

using MD5:

1. encrypted my name: tomek (returns: d0d41f1a3cc3f67dcd74694de9fef1b0)
  2. decrypted here using the encryption for tomek

Oh dear, and the damn thing's back again. Seriously, this will keep happening until the underlying cause is fixed... change any passwords and make sure VB is fully up to date... if you need to look back through logs and see how they're going about causing the thing. It's not the only thing that's changed either, look at the section title which now reads "I'm going to hack this over and over again".

I'll repeat - these people aren't even vaguely intelligent, they're moron script kiddies. But script kiddies (as do 2 year olds) know how to run the same script again and again to cause the same thing again and again.

Oh, and MD5 is a hashing function, NOT an encryption algorithm.

rofl I just saw on FB that the site was down again, and I clicked the bookmark to my UserCP in my bookmarks bar...Man these people are stupid.

Back
Top Bottom