Are these good parts for a first build?

boopyman

Beta member
Hey guys,
I'm new to building computers, and I just wanted to make sure I was getting the best stuff for my budget, while not getting any incompatible components.
Alright, so I'm planning on building a Media PC, that I could still potentially use as a normal work computer. My current budget is 500$, including the operating system. Alright, here is a preliminary list of parts:

Motherboard: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR G41U3G LGA 775 Intel G41 USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5700 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E5700

Harddrive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Blu-ray/DVD drive: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L/RSBP LightScribe Support (Retail)

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBNT

Case: Newegg.com - nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Alright, I think I didn't forget anything. Now, for the questions:

-Are all these parts compatible? Am I doing anything obviously wrong, am I wasting space by using big components?

-Are there any similarly priced parts to the ones in my build that are better?

-Regarding the OS: I'm planning on using Windows 7, but I don't know if I should get the 32-bit or 64-bit edition... Any info about this?

-Finally, as I said I want to watch Blu-Ray disks and lots of media. Now, I know I didn't specify a video card, but the motherboard says it comes with a video chipset: first of all, do these do the same thing? Second, if so, does the video chipset in the mobo support playing intensive media such as Blu-Ray?

Thank you very much for reading this, and if you can answer any of the questions above, please do so!

on 7 its the same, you just have to select which to install
and since you are getting 4GB of ram you will want to select the 64 bit option

okay i have had some time reviewing your parts list
dual cores are okay, i wouldnt expect it to last much longer
you should if you could go with a Core 2 Quad
that mobo will support it
further more you onboard question
since the only video output is a VGA, i would say no
you really dont expect a VGA to have enough bandwith to push all of those pixles, a DVI and HDMI can and will
but i doubt a VGA would
further more you would need a HD screen to validate having a BluRay ROM
btw the smallest 1080 monitor you can get is a 23"
23" is the native support for it, you might be able to find a 22" that can squeeze it on there but it wouldnt be worth it
so you should get a quad core if you can
you need a better vid card look for an DVI output
and at minimum a 23" or bigger monitor for true BluRay quality movies

click me
here is a cheap mobo on a 775 socket with a HDMI output

Back
Top Bottom