Mac OS 9.1 Password Trick?

FORDSVTPARTS

In Runtime
I Bought An iMac G3 she said that it also runs 10.2 (It Is Locked Out of os 9.1) because she never gave me a password (Or Install Discs For that matter) and i dont want to buy new ones! :mad:

It is possible to reset/change passwords on OS 9/10, however I am not sure how much I can say about doing so in the forums; due to the rules. Basically, enabling and changing the password of the 'root' user through a CLI (command line interface) would be the best way to go. The 'root' user has the highest level of permissions in a Mac environment, higher than those of the user created during install. It is also possible to reset a password of an individual user (as long as you know the name of the account) also through a CLI.

I hope I have sparked some 'research points', without breaking the rules of the forum - I haven't exactly told you how or even what to do in great detail.

You can just create a new admin account and delete the old accounts, and with it all their profiles and junk you don't need. You need to google around for the method though, since i can't find it.

I know i've done it on an old iMac using the pre-boot command line, creating a new admin account and wiping everything else.

You can just create a new admin account and delete the old accounts, and with it all their profiles and junk you don't need. You need to google around for the method though, since i can't find it.

I know i've done it on an old iMac using the pre-boot command line, creating a new admin account and wiping everything else.
What is the command line?

Well, the only way to get rid of a password in OS 9 that I know of is to wipe the thing and start over. The CLI option only works in OS X.

Back
Top Bottom