Laptop screen only works in SafeMode?

MDHokie

Beta member
Hey everyone, my first post here.

I have a strange problem, my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6, bought August '10) screen only works when I boot up in safe mode. Here is the weird thing though, when I boot up normally, the screen works throughout the whole process UNTIL I get to my login page, that's when the screen goes blank. I know it gets to my login page because my fingerprint reader lights up, meaning it wants me to login.

When I boot up in safe mood, the screen display works the entire time perfectly, in fact, I am using it right now to find out what to do to fix this issue!

Anybody have any ideas?

Assuming it's running windows 7, try hitting the Windows + P key to see if you can force it to cycle through display modes. Something weird might have happened where it's looking to display only to a projector/external monitor.

Safe mode boots with the 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' generic driver. This means that if you have a bad driver, your screen won't display in normal boot, but when you get windows to load a totally different 'Generic' driver and run at 800x600, it will work.

uninstall your GPU from inside safe mode, then restart and boot into normal mode. Install the latest driver from their site.

Back
Top Bottom