Gallery: Motherboards

Here's my mobo!!

sabertooth_p67_2d_l_s.jpg

Ubergizmo said:
How long does it take for your computer to boot up from the get go? Well, even the fastest machine isn't able to do so in seconds, but a new Bios replacement could change all that. We're talking about UEFI which will more or less make its way to new computers from next year onwards. What does UEFI stand for? We're looking at Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, where it was specially designed to be more flexible than its venerable predecessor. UEFI aims to free any computer from being based around the Bios blueprint and specifications of the original machine, and hence will not specify that a certain keyboard will only connect via a specific port. Instead, UEFI will make it easier for that input to come a soft keyboard, gestures on a touchscreen or any future input device. That would mean a boot up time of a few seconds, which will certainly be a marked improvement from the current half minute mark before the first bit of OS sign-on. To the future!

Yes, please!

Huh, I've never timed my desktop booting before but this thread got me wondering. From completely off to log in measured 39 seconds. While not all that fast, it is still under a minute and should count as booting in seconds.

i think the only fair way to measure boot up times, is from the beep of the POST to all startup scripts and programs being loaded.

Mine does it in about 28-30 seconds usually

my mate's with the 2500k and a Vertex II boots around 10 seconds usually.

i think the only fair way to measure boot up times, is from the beep of the POST to all startup scripts and programs being loaded.

Mine does it in about 28-30 seconds usually...

I figured my computer wasn't very fast, that's why I don't really get the "seconds" thing. Oh well...

All SSD's can boot in seconds, it's POST that makes the difference. Evga's cold boot POST pre-check takes 8 or 9 seconds, alone. That's before POST beep, quick RAM test, etc. Which is why UEFI looks so great. It's faster than "POST" which is the default checker and firmware/software interface on pretty much all motherboards.

http://www.uefi.org/home/

(Ubergizmo is a website, not a forum member ;p)

i think the only fair way to measure boot up times, is from the beep of the POST to all startup scripts and programs being loaded.[...]

I timed the boot up from the POST to log in at 24.45 seconds. Better, but not really fast. I guess a fast computer would be less than ten.

[edit] My motherboard: Intel DP45SG
6b504edd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom