Computer freezes while playing games

kdhaines06251

Beta member
Hey,

Whenever I am playing a game now (and only games) every once in a while my screen will suddenly turn black and repeat the last tenth of a second or so of audio over and over. It responds to nothing. The only way out is to hit the power button.

I am using a gateway laptop with an nvidia 9800, 1 gig, video card. Knowing this, I thought it could be an overheating issue. I have had overheating issues in the past and even downloaded a couple cpu and gpu thermometers. My temperature never seems very high when it freezes(though I can't check temperature once its blackscreened... cause its froze, just a minute or two before.)

In the past I have had sudden dips of very low FPS while playing games and eventually figured out it was overheating, and then learned how to orient my laptop to avoid it. My comp will now freeze even if its well ventilated.

The past issues i had with overheating never caused the computer to completely freeze like I'm describing either, just low FPS.

I just had my cpu and gpu thermometers running with a game on windowed mode at the same time. The screen froze with the cpu at 62 celsius and the gpu at about 85. Before, I wouldnt get FPS dips until about 100+ celsius... it gets rather hot hehe.

^^Long story short, I don't think it's overheating. I suppose it's possible though.

I updated my video driver. IDK what to do :S.

Game examples: Sacred 2, Rift, Oblivion, World of Warcraft.

Any ideas?

what level of graphics are you playing those games on? I used to have the same problem on my laptop with WoW on high settings when i turned t down to med it seemed to stop

How can I determine whether or not that issue is a RAM issue without buying a new stick and installing it? I'd just like to know that the problem will be fixed if i am to purchase something for it.

No error found in memory test... now what?

Something I hadn't mentioned earlier that i probably should have-- A while back I opened up my laptop and removed the CPU and when doing so the thermal compound tore... I put it back on as cleanly and nicely as I could. My CPU thermometer doesn't show that it is getting too hot so I didn't mention it before.

Would unplugging and replugging things possibly help? Any other tests I can run?

How can I determine whether or not that issue is a RAM issue without buying a new stick and installing it? I'd just like to know that the problem will be fixed if i am to purchase something for it.
how much ram do you have installed? Maybe you can take out one chip and leave another in and then test then swap the memory around if the issue still happens.

Other things you can try is to update the BIOS and drivers on your system especially the Video card

Back
Top Bottom