Random Chit Chat

I only have a laptop; I am online right now only because I happened to have burned an Ubuntu 11.04 CD last week to test drive.

I don't know if my drive overheated from playing Minecraft on it or what... I'm pretty sure the extra heat from gaming is what killed my battery.

I was this | | close to buying a 500GB drive down at the Office Max too, but decided that a free 320GB replacement was just fine. I still have to buy a terabyte drive for backing up to, since my existing 250GB backup drive is pretty much full.

yes, 1.5 G(bit)ps is 1, 2.0 is 3, 3.0 is 6. And I imagine 4.0 will be 12.

SATA3.0 devices should be backwards compatible to SATAII ports. So, you can still buy 3.0 drives to future proof yourself. I would suggest the OCZ drive I listed earlier.
Also, Crucial's C300 SATAIII MLC line starts at 129.99 for 64GB. C300's offer faster reads, but significantly slower reads. So it's up to you what you would want. Personally, I prefer faster writes too, since OS constantly writes cache and PF.

Been a long week. Sorry man. I meant to post the drive you did in your post. (or the list of SATAIII drives from OCZ...)
And I meant "C300 offers faster reads, but significantly slower writes"

And you have a slight misconception in speed. SATAII supports up to 3Gbps, where OCZ lists its drive can read at speeds up to 550MBps.

A BIT is 1/8 of a BYTE. So, 3Gbps is really only 375MBps

EDIT: If I remember correctly, drives of a newer generation support (but are still limited by) ports of older gens. Same with USB, same with PCI-E, right? I KNOW that drives of old gens run on ports of newer gens.

EDIT2: Ahh, yes...I remember now. SATA II and SATAIII devices come with two prongs that allow you to add a jumper, which drops the device's operation back a generation. At least someone upstairs is thinking :D

ahh i see. so if a Sata III SSD is rated for 550Mb/s but while in my system it will run in Sata II Mode, should it just max out Sata II speeds at around 350Mb/s ?

So in theory Sata III SSD, in Sata II mode will still destroy older gen Sata II SSDs that clame 285Mb/s

Correct?

I built a media PC for myself on about a 300 USD budget.

EDIT: yes, Sniper. A SATAIII device set to gen2 would run at max capabilities of the gen2 port. What makes SSD's beautiful isn't really the read/write - It's the seek times.

Is it normal that my 1GB 5870 says it has less than 1GB (965 Mb according to Shogun 2 Total War)?
I remember my older cards that has 256 MB or 512 MB always says the right size.

Back
Top Bottom