Overclocking temps! :)

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Ive just found out that the reason why i couldnt overclock my i7 930 even by 0.2 without its temps going over 80c was because I had the vcore voltage set to auto, I am now on 3.5ghz and my temps are on 65c on full load (I tested with prime 95 for one hour).

My question is:

I have ocz gold ram and it was made to be set at 1600mhz, would it be ok if i overclocked it to say 1800mhz, would the ram get to hot?

P.s, my ram has heat spreaders. I dont know if that would keep them cool though if ive overclocked over what they were made for.

Thanks

I think with the heat spreaders you should be fine. I would do a memtest to endurance test them and monitor them carefully.

Will do, just doing stress tests on cpu first :)

My bios wouldnt even boot :/ I think it was because I put the ram voltage down to 1.64. My ram is supposed to be 1.65, i havnt got this option in my bios as it going up in factors or 0.02. I dont want to have it set to 1.66 because I read ages ago that if the ram voltage is over 1.65 it COULD damage i7's. I dont know if this is true though??

I've never overclocked a i7 processor. Overclocking in general may damage any cpu really. Try setting the QPI to 1.3v and the ram to 1.66Volts. Check if that is stable. Just don't hold me responsible if something bad happens.

Back
Top Bottom