Internal Hard Drive

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a new hard drive for about £45, I'm looking at this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-342-WD

Its a WD caviar BLACK, which is the better version compared to the green and blue ones, it is sata 3.0 (600 mbps) and has 64mb of cache.

I'm going to use it as a primary drive.

Would you suggest anything else? Would there be a difference in getting 64mb of cache?

it will be for programs and data, i have a ssd for the OS, the hdd i have to store some programs and data is a seagate 80gb 8mb cache hard drive.

The black models from Western Digital are quite reliable and good for performance.
With 64MB of cache it will help improve performance. However, depending on your budget and if you want something with even more performance.
You may want to look at the new hybrid hard drives.
They can have as much as 4GB of SSD cache and still can hold many GBs worth of data.
I have one in my laptop that works quite well. Black is meant for performance and reliability.
Blue is the normal hard drive not particularly geared towards energy savings or performance.
(however, they work quite well too.) Green is the power-saving model and is not good for performance. They are more geared towards external cases or seldom use data storage. (I had to RMA a green one recently...)
The black one is a fine choice.

Sorry if my post is very wordy.

Back
Top Bottom