To Much Power Draw from one outlet/Video Card Malfunctioning

cougarbskball

Solid State Member
Hey,

So, I have the most frustrating thing right now. When I boot up my computer I am greeted by a graceful purple screen after the logo. Now, it is obviously the video card malfunctioning. But, I don't think the video card is actually bad.

Now why don't I think the video card is bad? Because, when I get the computer to boot up (yes I can still get it to boot up sometimes) I can play for hours on end and absolutely no glitches.

Now, my question is. Is it possible to have to many things plugged in to one outlet? My theory is that as soon as my video card starts drawing more power(Just sometimes) that is when the video card malfunctions, because it needs more power, but yet its not there to be had.

I have my server plugged into the same power strip.(350 watt power supply so relatively low usage) I have just turned it off and doing a series of tests.

I will get back to here as soon as that is done. Just wondering other peoples takes on this.

BTW I have been using this card for 2.5 years in the setup with 0 issues.

Jeremy

You would blow fuses in the house.

As far as I am aware, if you draw too much power from an outlet, it could catch fire or you'll blow a fuse (pop the circuit breaker).

More likely it is your PSU failing, or your PSU not being able to power GPU card, A bad connection or something of that matter.

It is possible that the surge protector is also going bad.

Before you do anything else, it IS possible for a component to be intermittent, rather than BAD or GOOD. Don't rule it out.

also, have you tried a different VGA/DVI cable, or on a different monitor?

Well, I run two monitors. And, I have tried each one individually. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

The only thing that seems to be absolutely consistent, is booting into safe mode never does it. Which, would make me scream DRIVERS! But, I have reinstalled several times. So, I might just assume safe mode is a coincidence. I also know, I had two 8800gts's in for about 2 weeks a couple weeks ago. And, it worked fine. So maybe it has nothing to do with power.

I am thinking that there must be a component that is intermittent. Because if I restart enough. My computer eventually starts up. Which just seems very odd to me.

Back
Top Bottom