Power Draw of Hard Drive? -- Compatibility Concerns

Trainzer

Baseband Member
This is my computer's Motherboard:

Motherboard Specifications, IPILP-LC (Lancaster8) Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I only get 330W out of my PSU. My computer...
Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
... only has a 224GB Hard Drive that is about filled up. (only <16GB left) Since it has an expansion bay for another Hard Dive, I was considering this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...WDBAAZ0010HNC_NRSN_1TB_Caviar_Black_SATA.html

However, I'm wondering if my PSU can support the new WD Caviar Black 1TB drive before I buy it, let alone my motherboard.

Cheers,
Joshua

Hiya,

First of all, here's a similar issue we had a week or to ago (see my reply - should be of some use hopefully!)

http://www.computerforums.org/hardware/psu-support-help-106117.html

Secondly, Because its a pre-built, they probably have had it rigourously tested, and probably have put the bare minimum PSU wattage in there to get the job done, guaranteed (to save money!)

Personally, If i was spending money and putting a nice HD in there, I would get a good brand PSU, to make sure nothing gives way, with the additional wattage. (My general rule is, I wont have a $90 piece of Hardware on its own (not including CPU, MOBO Etc) being supplied by a crappy $20 PSU)
If you wanted to go ahead and carry on, you would probably just be ok though - as long as you arent experiencing any PSU issues currently.

Do you really need a TB drive though? Worth re-thinking perhaps? If you do, thats fine, and go with suggestions above.

Disclaimer: If anything blows up - don't blame me.

I wouldn't be concerned with the power draw of an additional HDD as they don't draw much power. However, if you have done things like: maxed out the RAM, changed out the original video card for one with much higher performance (power hungry), added multiple cooling fans, etc... to the point that your PSU is currently straining then the addition of a 2nd drive might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Thank you for your help! I have more information to add for you.

Hiya,

First of all, here's a similar issue we had a week or to ago (see my reply - should be of some use hopefully!)

http://www.computerforums.org/hardware/psu-support-help-106117.html

Secondly, Because its a pre-built, they probably have had it rigourously tested, and probably have put the bare minimum PSU wattage in there to get the job done, guaranteed (to save money!)

Personally, If i was spending money and putting a nice HD in there, I would get a good brand PSU, to make sure nothing gives way, with the additional wattage. (My general rule is, I wont have a $90 piece of Hardware on its own (not including CPU, MOBO Etc) being supplied by a crappy $20 PSU)
If you wanted to go ahead and carry on, you would probably just be ok though - as long as you arent experiencing any PSU issues currently.

Do you really need a TB drive though? Worth re-thinking perhaps? If you do, thats fine, and go with suggestions above.

Disclaimer: If anything blows up - don't blame me.

Nope, my current 330W PSU is running just fine. The Terabyte is there because this computer only has 224GB, and although I could transfer the whole drive with a TB, I really want this computer to last a long time as a family computer. This means holding the "sister photo dump" wherein my sister temporarily dumps her phone videos and images onto the computer for facebook uploading. Sure she'll delete them, but the temporary dump will certainly cause hell with the current 17.5GB of free space on the drive. (hence why I'm making sure she doesn't do that currently) Additionally, I plan to do a lot of work. (Graphic Design, light Web Design, Video Editing, etc...) all of which take a lot of storage space. I would like to get the TB as a "There! Fixed it!" solution so I will not have to deal with more drive space in later years.

I wouldn't be concerned with the power draw of an additional HDD as they don't draw much power. However, if you have done things like: maxed out the RAM, changed out the original video card for one with much higher performance (power hungry), added multiple cooling fans, etc... to the point that your PSU is currently straining then the addition of a 2nd drive might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I have maxed out the RAM on the computer. Which, as you may know by the motherboard stats, is only 2GB. This is the RAM I have currently installed:

Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA800

As for Graphics and whatnot, I still the small integrated Intel Chipset graphics card in the computer that came default. I do plan to upgrade, if I don't upgrade the PSU now, definitely will when I get an dedicated graphics card.

Cheers,
Joshua

Back
Top Bottom