SONY hacking

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it illegal to store credit card information in plain text? Or is that just a security convention for the smaller programmers who makes ecommerce scripts and not people like paypal and google checkout etc?
there is no law regarding this.

At least credit card information was encrypted.
the next question is how good the encryption is...

When anonymous hacked the hbgary federal site it turned out that their databases were encrypted, but getting passwords for users accounts wasn't as difficult as the system designers would have obviously liked it to have been

the next question is how good the encryption is...
And of course whether the attack was indeed carried out by former employees, and whether they possess the secret key(s). If they do then however good the algorithm is it's worthless...

Apparently we will be getting some free DLC from the PSN, as well as a month of free Playstation Plus. PSN should also be coming back this week.

My understanding from what I have read online is, all information was stolen and stored in plain text. Except the credit card info. Which was stored in a seperate database than the one that was compromised, which was encrypted. Though Sony informing us that we should watch our credit and bills closely does not make me feel very confident in what they are telling us.

Back
Top Bottom