Computer can't run Java properly

diffn

Beta member
Hey guys, my name is Timper and I'm new here. Now that's over, lets get on the actual point of this post.

Oh, and I know Java is software and I'm in the hardware forum but I believe it may be having the problem due to the memory card reader issue I talk about below.

About two months ago, my computer(laptop) installed a new driver for a memory card reader. Immediately after rebooting the system for the update to take effect, the computer became extremely sluggish; it would take 30 seconds to 2 minutes for it to respond to any attempts at opening a window or using a program of any kind. After restoring it to factory default settings, it repeatedly went through the "First Boot" process so I had a friend who is better with computers than I am figure out what was wrong with it. It was still a problem with the driver for the memory card reader so he just made it so the computer wouldn't keep trying to install the faulty driver which caused the problem in the first place.

Everything seemed to be working perfectly fine at first, but when I went to play a Java based game (Minecraft if you must know) it worked fine for the first two or three minutes, then suddenly dropped down to under 10fps. I installed some mods for the game that were supposed to help, but they just caused the game to run smoothly for an extra couple minutes before dropping back down under 10fps. I decided to try playing a variety of other Java based games, only to end up with it running extremely slow on all of them.

Here are some pictures I took of various things with my computer, the first is a Toshiba Health Moniter of my system "idling":
Normal.png

This is what it is like 45 minutes into a movie:
Movie.png

This is playing a Java based game:
Javagame.png

As you can see from these, playing a Java game is more taxing on my computer than after I have been watching a movie for 45 minutes on it. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I don't think it is...

This is my CPU after running a Java game for a couple minutes:
Performance.png

System Info:
Sysinfo.png

This is the faulty driver for my memory card reader that the computer wants to install:
MemCard.png

If you have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it, I would be extremely grateful to see it. Also if you need any additional information to figure out what it wrong, I will be more than willing to provide it as long as its not my SS, credit card or phone number;).

I'm concerned about the high cpu usage. Update both the 32-bit and 64bit java runtimes from java.com and see how that helps.

I'm concerned about the high cpu usage. Update both the 32-bit and 64bit java runtimes from java.com and see how that helps.

Tried that, no change in performance. Also, any idea why my installed RAM is 4gb but my available is only 1.6?

Can you upload a pic of the System Resource Monitor when this is all going on? This will help with debugging.

My laptop does the same thing, it runs at 100% cpu on a java game. My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6000.

I'm going to jump in two directions here. First, have you tried uninstalling that card reader that you mentioned to see if that makes a difference? I think it's just poor timing but worth a shot.

Also, considering this is a laptop I wonder if it's overheating. If possible take some canned air to the vents and give it a good blow to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom