Solid State Member
About 8 months ago i purchased a system with the following specs:

Operating System- Windows 7 64bit, ultimate
Processor - Intel (R) core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz
RAM - 8gig DDR3
Graphics Card - Nvidia GTX460
Harddrive - 1TB sata
Monitor - 24inch samsung B2430H - runs the game at 1900x1200

I am happy with my computer and runs fairly quick but im having a major temperature issue. The computer when idle runs at around 50 degrees and when im watching movies, browsing the net and running programs the computer is running at 70 degrees with a 4% cpu usage and 20% ram usage.

Now my issue comes when installing a program or playing a game, without fail within ten minutes both my cores run at 105 degrees even if the game is modest graphics wise and the cpu and ram usage go to 100%. So my first ten minutes of gaming are fantastic and then my computer just slows down. The funny thing is i get no heat increase when watching videos which could indicate the graphics card is the issue.

Now im wondering is the issue my graphics card or my cpu?
What can i do to reduce the temperature?, (ive already moved the system to a well ventilated area and have ordered a artic cooling freezer 7 and artic silver thermal paste)

Thankyou for taking the time to read through my long post, any feedback would be appreciated.

What kind of heat sink is on the cpu, if it stock then that "might" be the problem! I know this by experience, i use an intel I7 930 and when i had the stock heat sink and fan it would idle around 50 degree C and then i got a aftermarket cooler and now it runs at 27-30 degrees C.

Im just using the standard heat sink given with the cpu, ive ordered a artic cooling freezer, hopefully that will fix it. From reading the other thread its seen that disabling the CPU smartFAN control in the bios may help but in my bios i don't have a pc health status section so i cant find it.

After doing research, the most likely problem is that the heat fan is not properly mounted, ill open up my system and fix this.

well im just gonna say, i've got alot of case fans and a Freezer Pro 7 (1 intake fan and 3 exhaust. Fan in PSU and on GPU) and my CPU is running right now with 10% load at 22C.

It used to run around 40C with stock cooling. The aftermarket coolers do really help sometimes.

If you plan reseating/replacing cooler, make sur you have thermal paste, because without it, the heat can't conduct properly and you can end up with these high temps!

Back
Top Bottom