graphics

chrisf-1

Baseband Member
Hi everyone I am looking to improve the graphics on my computer with a view to giving this gaming malarkey a go, I am located in the UK and my computer is a Dell XPS 720 with 8 gig of RAM, and running a single NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX, Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit can I simply get another one of these and an SLI bridge and simply plug and play or is there anything else I need to do? and will there be much improvement with this set up or would I be better off removing the card I have and replacing it with something different altogether I am thinking of my pocket as well, which is why another of the same card looks to be possibly the most economic solution any recommendations gratefully received many thanks Chris

Capture this thread

that card isnt a bad one at all, im not a fan of nvidia but that card is a powerhouse compared to others made at the same time. if u want to upgrade and run just one card its not expensive to get a nice card. i run 2 ATI radeon HD 5770s and its SLI/cross fired and it runs anything i can throw at it, even Cryisis at max graphics (i don't play it its for benchmarking), and 2 of these cards are the price of 2 nicer one.. but its all about what you want and if your PSU can run it. also take budget into consideration

Thanks for the replies everyone, Dustin88 I do not think the PSU will be a problem as the original 750w power supply started clicking and the PC would not boot so I replaced it with a 1kw upgrade only to find out the problem was the motherboard !!! By the way while mentioning the motherboard these are BTX motherboards and I now have 2 spares one with a known fault and the other untested does anyone know of someone who could test the unknown one and repair the other one or even make one out of the 2 as these are horrendously expensive (£300.00 +) from Dell or even secondhand any way I digress. A single card sounds much less trouble and I am a great fan of recycling that sort of stuff, so would go for a used card anyway which should make it more affordable so what do people think would satisfy my needs. I have forgotten to mention I am running a Q6600 CPU and thought you ought to know in case that has any effect on what I use, again I would not have a problem with upgrading the CPU but I do not want to get into water cooling as the Dell H2C units appear to be somewhat troublesome and when they go wrong horrors occur and they are unrepairable sealed units, anyway people thanks again for your replies and now I am leaning towards replacing with a single card is there one people could recommend with the capability to upgrade to 2 cards should I find one not enough although I doubt that situation would occur for some time as I am a gaming newbie but I don't want to blame my tools if I am useless. Many thanks for your replies everyone please keep em coming Chris

your processor seems ok, and if your gaming you shouldn't worry about getting anything more powerful than that. if your looking for just 1 card and have kind of power supply, an Nvidia would wok great with the Intel chipset. i only recommend ATI because i have used them for 12 years,but Nvidia matches with intel soo much better, just like AMD and ATI in my opinion. when it comes to motherboards, im blank. i dont repair them. and there easily acessable. might have to try a local shop, or find a freind that likes that kind of thing.

Hi again Dustin88 there are very few of these motherboards about and a refurbed one from Dell is about the price of another complete used XPS 720 so I really need to find someone to sort out one of my two as I said one is unknown so needs testing and may well work and the other has a fault which makes the PSU click and will not boot there seem to be plenty of people who repair laptop motherboards but are not interested in desktops any recommendations would be handy as they are known to fail and getting thinner on the ground as they BTX form factor so I would like to keep a spare thanks Chris

like i said not familiar with testing Mobos unless i hook one up on a test bench and try it. hopefully someone from this forum can help, or guide you in the right direction. as i am unfamiliar with this

Hi again Dustin hooking up on a test bench is exactly what is needed I have just found a 3rd one but again untested I would be more than willing to let you have a go and remuneration would be forthcoming it is quite possible 2 of them have no faults at all but until tested I do not know the 3rd as I explained earlier definitely has a fault but if that one is beyond repair it must certainly have parts that may save either or both of the other 2 if they are faulty let me know if you fancy having a look and I will send them to you assuming you are in the UK many thanks Chris

well, i would love to help, but i live on the east coast in the US. so i am unable to offer my services, but there must be someone near that can help.

Back
Top Bottom