Gaming desktop.

Gingbimo

Beta member
Gaming Desktop.

Apologies if i have posted this in the wrong thread, as I am completely new to this forum.
I was wondering if anyone could take a look at this desktop PC and tell me what they think, I'm pretty much looking for a computer that can handle games such as WoW starcraft 2 etc and was wondering how well this spec could handle it, any reccomendations/critiscisms are welcome :) thanks in advance.

Configuration
  • CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU ***Overclockable XXX ***
  • HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
  • MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4N68T-M V2 NF630A AM3 DDR3/1066 SATA PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5870 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 Video Card [+28] (Major Brand Power by ATI)
The only thing that concerns me is the 1gb video card...maybe splashing out on a 2gb one might be worth it, not sure!

a couple of things,
1. if this is going to be a mainly gaming computer no point in having that core as no game uses 6 cores at the moment all hit 4 MAX, personally i'd go with the i5 2500k as it blows anything AMD have out of the water
2. If your going to overclock you are going to need a CPU cooler, i'd suggest the corsais H70 as i have heard good things about it
3. go with 1600 mhz for the ram as it will improve your comps overall speed
4 and finally what graphic levels do you want to play the games on?

I disagree with... everything Lipzo said tbh xD

1. The Phenom II x4 995 is on par with at i5 2500k any day if you ask me, generally the performance stats would be impossible to tell between and one costs a bill less than the other. Either way to 1055T pulls down it's pants and does a sloppy poo all over the 2500k.

2. Depending on how much you're overclocking by, stock cooler may be able to handle it. If not, get a Freezer Pro, dirt cheap and does the job as-good-as it's premium rivals.

3. go with MOAR RAM AND/OR faster RAM. I'd recommend atleast 6GB to go with your chip, since i guess you'd use x64 Windows. Your board supports up to 1800 (so a site i just googled to says) so you could look at Dominator RAM if money is no object. Look into Corsair Vengeance as it's a nice compromise at 1600. As far as i know it only comes in a 6GB kit as triple channel, so im going to go ahead and recommend the 8GB dual channel kit.

4. For WoW/SC2, a 1GB card will be fine. GPU memory basically just dictates how much 'graphics stuff' can be displayed at one time, and how well (obviously also depending on the particular graphics chip, in your case the AMD 5870 chip). Generally, i say to customers that the moar monitors/bigger res you have, the more memory you should look at for your GPU. E.g. if you're using 3 monitors in Eyefinity or NVIDIA 3d Vision Surround, then more memory is a good idea.

Anyway, i really doubt you'll ever feel the need to overclock that chip, unless you have some serious chip ego or something. Another thing you also should consider is a case with adequate cooling/airflow properties. the Antec 300 Three Hundred is a good mid-end case for gaming PCs.

1. The Phenom II x4 995 is on par with at i5 2500k any day if you ask me, generally the performance stats would be impossible to tell between and one costs a bill less than the other. Either way to 1055T pulls down it's pants and does a sloppy poo all over the 2500k.

really? when it comes to gaming the i5 kills the 995 and then in general performance it is just a tad above it but you can always overclock it to 4ghz without taking to many risks which means its a far better chip :p

Hi guys, first of all thanks for all the help, i have reconfigured the build im buying with 8gb's of ram but it doesnt say if it will be any quicker? Surely 8gb's will be sufficient to play games like wow on max settings right? And could someone please explain overclocking to me, i keep seeing it everywhere and tbh i have no idea what it means! And im also confused as to what processor to get now, the phenom II 1100t is within my price range with the new ram, any suggestions? Thanks again!

when it comes to gaming and running things on max the most important thing is your GPU. 8 GB's of ram is more than enough to play wow on max providing your gpu is good enough.
Overclocking is a process which you basically make which ever component you overclock run at a higher ghz level then it is stock, while it pose's a slight danger (if you don't have the right cooling systems) if you don't set it up right it can increase the overall efficiency of your computer alot. E.G. The i5 2500k is 3.3ghz stock with a turbo boost that can take it to 3.7 ghz when needed but if you overclock it then you can easily boost it to 4.5 ghz and higher but you need to make sure you have a GOOD cooling system or else it will burn out the chip and most likely take other parts out with it which is very frustrating. Also if you overclock you will want a good PSU, which i just noticed you haven't listed there (I'd suggest you don't use what ever one comes with the case, if one does, as a good PSU is the backbone of your system).

Hope that clears it up for you

Configuration
CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU ***Overclockable XXX ***
HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory [+50] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4N68T-M V2 NF630A AM3 DDR3/1066 SATA PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5770 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 Video Card
This is the new configuration i went for with your advice, think it still looks good even with my limited knowledge of pc's. So how would i go about overclocking? The pc does come with a good cooling system and i have maximum cooling fans fitted as an extra just incase. Btw the pc us costing about £550 was just wondering if thats a good price or can i get it cheaper elsehwere, appreciate the help!

if your going to overclock you need to go with an aftermarket cpu cooling system

Back
Top Bottom