Maybe A Video-Card Issue, Maybe Not

BlueSun

Beta member
Since last autumn I've had ghostly lines that have appeared on my computer-screen that have gotten worse over the months. When they first appeared, they were little lines usually around the icons and in some locations of the background boarders of whatever program that was in use at the time. Then, over a period of time, they have gotten more intense showing up everywhere on the screen. At time occupying almost the entire screen. To make matters worse, since last week a blue-screen appears every now and then making me have to shut-down my computer.

I finally called DELL tech-support about it last week after getting really fed-up. The Dell-guy walked me through a diagnostic-procedure via the telephone where the outcome was him saying that he thinks I may need a new video-card. The thing is, on my current budget, I cannot afford to get a new video-card until in a few weeks at the earliest. Still, I'm wondering is it really a video-card issue or something else. Would I resolve the problem if I just re-install everything? I must point-out that whenever I go into the “computer setup” mode, distorted images appear in that mode too (which kinda reaffirm to me that may just be the video-card). Or I could have a defective program on my computer or maybe a virus, I dunno.

My computer is a DELL XPS Gen. 2 that I bought almost 7 years ago. The operating-system is a XP-Pro. The video-card is an ATI 256. Please, any advice, suggestions, criticisms or helpful comments?

yeah, this sounds like the card is just on it's way out.

a similar thing happened to my brothers old pc, turns out the card had melted it's own fan off and was overheating/bluescreening like mad. if it's as old as you say it is, you might be better off in the long run just getting a new PC.

Thanks Darkseeker,

yeah I'll start making move to get a new card right away but a brand new computer any time soon is definitely out of the question.

As far as a new card I was wondering, do I have to get a card of the same equivalent (256 MB and so on) or can I upgrade to 512 MB (512 is as high as I wanna go)?

depends on the slot as to what upgrades are available, im going to assume due to age that it is AGP (a brown slot?)

if so, finding an AGP card with more than 512 would be hard anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134076&cm_re=AGP-_-14-134-076-_-Product

if it's not AGP, and is infact PCI-e then your options as much less limited.

im just wondering also, if it's actually a laptop not a desktop? im having a hard time finding anything 'XPS Gen. 2' that isn't a laptop.

if the graphics chip goes in a laptop, it's bye-bye laptop basically.

Darkseeker, I really appreciate the concern and advice. Yeah, I got the new card yesterday (upgraded it to a 512 too), everything is fine now. Good looking-out.

Oh, and its a desktop.

So is your problem is resolved now? I would download GPU-Z and when you are experiencing this issue, check what your GPU temps are. You can also try rolling back drivers or try installing a newer driver for your VGA if there is a newer version available.

Back
Top Bottom