ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

I've always heard good things about clonezilla.

Clonezilla - About

Oh, if any of your drives are made by seagate, their disk utility has a cloner built in and it's free as well. I've used it before and had good success with it. It's built off of Acronis

Ah ha, thanks, that seems like a good one to me :)
Afraid I'm using Western Digital's, otherwise their own software would have been good

From what you've said a dodgy raid controller sounds like the most likely here rather than the drives themselves. WD drives have been very good for me personally and pretty much everyone else I know, that's too many to fail for it to be the drives unless you're really, really unlucky!

Haven't used it in a while but I seem to remember driveimage xml working for me.

Yeah, because the controller is what copies all the data to the drive, and replicates the data onto the other drive.
It's not exactly a physical fault by the looks of it. But the controller is causing the fault.

Its probably the reason why both drives corrupted, because one drive generated a fault, which caused a computer crash. The system then re-built itself over the course of 2 hours, copying data from one drive to the other as it does, verifying data. Result? 2 corrupted drives.

I'm yet to install Windows 7 again, but I probably will tomorrow

Hence what I originally said (Possible controller issue). To rule it out, try to see if you can obtain a separate HDD controller.

Yeah, because the controller is what copies all the data to the drive, and replicates the data onto the other drive.
It's not exactly a physical fault by the looks of it. But the controller is causing the fault
Yup, exactly. Take a look at the SMART status which might give a better indicator of the actual physical state (though I'm not sure if this would show up bad on SMART or not.)

Back
Top Bottom