Math Problem (Simple)

I was going to be sarcastic and post lots of possible answers, but I just can't be bothered...

Perhaps I could draw a graph.

333.248*2=666.496

666.496/2=333.248
That wasnt simple enough?

Please, please tell me you're joking. You understand that's just one possible solution out of an infinite number of solutions and not THE solution right?

Please, please tell me you're joking. You understand that's just one possible solution out of an infinite number of solutions and not THE solution right?
no, i asked this on another forum and they got it on the first try this is THE answer

Oh dear oh dear.

x*y/2=333.248

/ and * have equal precedence, so we work from left to right, it becomes:

(x*y)/2 = 333.248

therefore:

x*y = 666.496

That's the ONLY definitive thing we can get from that equation. There are an infinite number of values x and y could take to get that thing to work.

x=2, y=333.248
x=1, y=666.496
x=10, y=66.6496
I could go on. Hence the bit about there being an infinite set of possible values.

If you disagree, please explain how 666.496*1 doesn't equal 666.496...

You've either not posted the question properly, or it has no definitive answers for x and y other than their product.

Two variables, but one equation, means an infinite amount of answers (is there any additional information to this problem?)

Did You Not See How I Solved It?
You didn't solve it. You just wrote down a couple of sums. To solve it, you need to algebraically and unambiguously break it down to find the solution to x and y, you didn't mention either.

Even if you did break it down, you will just find one possible solution out of an infinite number - if you think there is just one, read a maths textbook and stop trying to post puzzles.

Back
Top Bottom