What college degree should i pursure

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
Im about to start taking college courses to earn my degree in a computer field but im stuck on which one i should go after, im going to be taking classes online since im in the military and dont really have time for classroom settings, so ill be going to UMUC and im wanting to take either Cyber Security or Computer Science... help give me some input on what everyone would do

You should do what you like the most, not what other people think you should do or the career that yields the most money. Very idealistic statement, but you'll feel good at the end of the day.

A straight CS degree has the advantage that you can go into any field after that really - if you're not sure quite what you want to do with technology or computers, that will be the way to go.

Another point, security / crypto stuff (if it's any course worth it's salt) will involve LOTS of maths. If you're not comfortable with lots of maths, I'd advise steering clear.

You should do what you like the most, not what other people think you should do or the career that yields the most money. Very idealistic statement, but you'll feel good at the end of the day.
True, unles there is no demand.
I, personally, considering the climate, see no benefit in degrees at all

i can out-earn most graduates if i get CCNA, and i didnt waste £30k or 4 years /shrug

Yeah, you can become a welder and earn $60k a year while working less than 9 months out of the year.

i can out-earn most graduates if i get CCNA, and i didnt waste £30k or 4 years /shrug
well, good luck getting your foot in the door when other people have a more impressive qualification on their CV than you do!

CCNA people might be sought after, but lots of places don't even bother looking at the CV's of non degree educated people...

that may change as it gets more expensive to get a degree and more people go straight to work...

Also... a degree is going to teach you a more rounded skill set (and possibly everything that you'd learn in a CCNA anyway), it's also going to teach you how to learn, and how to revise -which will help passing that CCNA.

it's going to teach you how to write effectively to communicate with other people...

basically, when hiring people are going to look for experience first.
then qualification.
and a degree is more impressive than a CCNA on a CV.

even if they are specifically looking for CCNA engineers, you'll still be lacking compared to other candidates who do have degrees.

Im about to start taking college courses to earn my degree in a computer field but im stuck on which one i should go after, im going to be taking classes online since im in the military and dont really have time for classroom settings, so ill be going to UMUC and im wanting to take either Cyber Security or Computer Science... help give me some input on what everyone would do

Is that University Of Maryland University College? If it is, avoid that place at all costs. I have heard nothing but horror stories. I live close to it. They have so many network problems it's ironic.

The military is paying for me to attend college, no money of mine out of pocket

Is that University Of Maryland University College? If it is, avoid that place at all costs. I have heard nothing but horror stories. I live close to it. They have so many network problems it's ironic.

really, id be taking online classes, and ive heard alot of good things about them when coming from the military... where is a good online college that you could recommend that is military friendly(meaning they accommodate the military in cost) and an online college that offers these 2 degrees...

I personally have applied to do a BSC in Computer Science at Cardiff University (with a year in industry), and an MEng in Software Engineering at Aberystwyth (also with a year in industry).

Once piece of advice that I have been given is that experience is very valuable - Apparently, lots of places won't seriously consider you if you've come straight from University without any kind of experience in the field.

Back
Top Bottom