ANOTHER failing hard drive?!!!!

ok, and quick question, can vista handle a 1 terabyte hard drive? or should i switch to xp or windows 7? because ive only tested the hard drive with windows vista and not xp or 7

ok, and quick question, can vista handle a 1 terabyte hard drive? or should i switch to xp or windows 7? because ive only tested the hard drive with windows vista and not xp or 7

there isn't an OS on the market now that can't support a 1TB drive. Drive format is what makes most of the difference. Either way, anything XP and newer can support 1TB drives.

well i plugged it in internally with sata and whatnot, went to the disk management and set a drive letter and then the next day i turned it on and it was no where to be found, not even in the disk management

i have it plugged in right now and i can't find it anywhere. its not in computer, disk management, or device manager.

Update:

I took the two drives to Micro Direct this morning, after running Dban to clear the drives for testing.

They did a quick test on each drive (took around 10 minutes each) and they both came back fine.
He said to run a extended test at home, and write down any errors if something still isn't right.

The only conclusion I can come up with now, is that my Intel RAID controller isn't worth using again, and to just run drives as standalone.
Maybe it's the controller that has been causing all the issues on my drives.

Another thought, is because all the drives now contain only 0's, there won't be any bad sectors to test for using a quick test, so something could still be up.

EDIT:

Running extended tests on each. Approx 2 hours a drive

Update:

I took the two drives to Micro Direct this morning, after running Dban to clear the drives for testing.

They did a quick test on each drive (took around 10 minutes each) and they both came back fine.
He said to run a extended test at home, and write down any errors if something still isn't right.

The only conclusion I can come up with now, is that my Intel RAID controller isn't worth using again, and to just run drives as standalone.
Maybe it's the controller that has been causing all the issues on my drives.

Another thought, is because all the drives now contain only 0's, there won't be any bad sectors to test for using a quick test, so something could still be up.

EDIT:

Running extended tests on each. Approx 2 hours a drive
That does seem like a common factor, you've had all of these drives in some sort of RAID configuration, correct? Maybe it's the controller after all. Might want to do a test on your PSU just to be on the safe side too, just to make sure it's putting out reasonably clean power at the right voltages.

Yep, all extended tests came out fine. So I guess the only thing to do now is re-install Windows on one drive, and use the other as a backup, and some un-important files.
Won't be trusting Intel RAID again.

Does anyone know of a free imaging program like Norton Ghost that will create an image of the drive when Windows is set up/programs installed/upgrades installed?

Is this any good?
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Yep, all extended tests came out fine. So I guess the only thing to do now is re-install Windows on one drive, and use the other as a backup, and some un-important files.
Won't be trusting Intel RAID again.

Does anyone know of a free imaging program like Norton Ghost that will create an image of the drive when Windows is set up/programs installed/upgrades installed?

Is this any good?
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

Ugh, I used to know of a really good one, and can't remember it atm.... I'll see if I can dig up the name of it again.

Back
Top Bottom