remove windows files from old HDD

mikee

Fully Optimized
I have an old hard drive that came out of one of my sisters old computers in an external enclosure. However it is almost full with programs and windows and I don't want to format it and risk the unreplacable data on the drive Is there any way to remove just windows and programs off the drive? I tried deleting them manually but it says I need administrator permission to do so.

thanks in advance. This has been quite an ordeal for me the last week

I have an old hard drive that came out of one of my sisters old computers in an external enclosure. However it is almost full with programs and windows and I don't want to format it and risk the unreplacable data on the drive Is there any way to remove just windows and programs off the drive? I tried deleting them manually but it says I need administrator permission to do so.

thanks in advance. This has been quite an ordeal for me the last week

It should ask for a password does your sister know this password?

it doesn't ask for any password it just says you need administrator permission. The os on the drive is windows xp

The best way to do this, IMO, would be to copy the data off to another drive then reformat the drive and copy the data back.

yeah but I don't have another drive to copy to where I am now and I fear I might miss something then format it and it will be lost forever

it doesn't ask for any password it just says you need administrator permission. The os on the drive is windows xp

If you search for administrator on the windows search all programs and file (I'm guessing you're on windows 7) you can change user account control settings so it allows you to allow you to delete files you just need to find out the password to do this.

Back
Top Bottom