Motherboard problem

AustinRyan

Beta member
I have a Gateway 505gr that I had been using with my tv. It doesn't turn on anymore. No sign of power whatsoever. I got a new power supply and nothing changed. I think my motherboard is broken. It's not the newest computer so I don't want to spend much money to fix it (I bought it used for $150). Should I replace the motherboard? Can I use the parts that work and get a used case and motherboard and create a new system?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Here are the specs:
505GR Specifications
Part Number: 4054Gateway 505GR Desktop Computer
Model: 505GR Following are the specifications for the Gateway® 505GR computer.
Specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation.
[SIZE=-1]Feature[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Specification[/SIZE] Processor Brand Intel® Processor Class Pentium® 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology Processor Speed 3.0 GHz Bus Speed 800 MHz Cache Size 1 MB System Chipset Intel 915G Express Chipset Memory 1 GB installed memory
Four DDR SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets that support the following:
  • 2.5 V (only) DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
  • Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction:
  • Double-sided DIMMS with ×16 organization are not supported.
  • 4 GB maximum total system memory.
  • Minimum total system memory: 128 MB
  • Non-ECC DIMMs
  • Serial Presence Detect
  • DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

Hard Drive Capacity 200 GB Drive Controllers Serial ATA (SATA) Card Slots
  • CompactFlash Card
  • IBM MicroDrive
  • Memory Stick
  • Memory Stick Pro
  • SmartMedia Card
  • Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
Sound Support Intel High Definition (HD) Audio Video Chipset Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) Video Bus PCI Express x16 Video Integration Motherboard Shared Video RAM (Max) 64 MB Port Connectors
  • 7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front bezel, 1 in Media Manager, 4 on rear)
  • 3 IEEE 1394 Ports (2 in front bezel, 1 in back)
  • 1 Serial Port
  • 1 Parallel Port
  • 2 PS/2 Ports (Keyboard & Mouse)
  • Audio In and Out
  • RJ-11 Modem
  • RJ-45 Ethernet LAN
PCI Slots 2 PCI Express x1 Slots 1 PCI Express x16 Slots 1 Slots Notes 1 PCI Express x16, 1 PCI Express x1 and 1 PCI open Included Drives
  • CD-ROM
  • DVD+/-RW
  • Hard Drive
Expansion Bays
  • 4 3.5-inch (2 open)
  • 2 5.25-inch
Network Support Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) Modem Speed 56 Kbps Input Devices
  • Keyboard
  • 2-button wheel mouse
Chassis Style Mini-tower Case Dimensions (H × W × D) 14.25 × 7.25 × 16.0 inches Weight 23.0 lbs

well, theres no way to 'fix' a motherboard usually, so you're going to need to get a new one. Thing is, would you say the PC is 'worth' repairing, or maybe in the long run it would be better to jsut buy a low end HTPC or shuttle to replace it with, if it's going with a TV. AMD has released it's first Fusion chips now and Intel's Atom will be lowering in price to compete. So, if you want a decent HTPC you might be better off looking for a Shuttle or HTPC with an Atom or fusion chip and a HDMI-out.

well.... i'll suggest you that just replace the motherboard.Because if want to repair it,than might b possible that it will again disturb u and make another big problem for u.So my dear try to buy a new motherboard of Genuine Intel.

Back
Top Bottom