Sata HDD into SCSI?

Pike11

Solid State Member
I've acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2400 server. I have a few SATA drives in a make shift file server I'd like to put in there, but I'm not sure how I can pull this off. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

SATA to SCSI bridges aren't common, and they're expensive. Just buy a SATA card and drop it into the system, assuming your system supports the kind of card you can afford, that will help you read those disks.

Sata PCI card, or how about buying an external usb case and putting your sata

Does the server have any local drives at all ?

because of the wildly different characteristics of the two drive types, SCSI/Sata bridges are very uncommon and expensive as og said.

this is because, although Parallel to Serial bridges such as IDE to SATA are fairly common and quite cheap, SCSI requires IDs to each device and bus termination. For this reason, it's pretty difficult and therefore expensive to bridge SATA devices onto some sort of SCSI bus then assign IDs and terminate the chain without something going 'tits up' as it were.

Looking at its age, does it have ISA or PCI slots on the motherboard? You'll be hard pushes to find anything ISA that will do it, but provided you have a common PCI slot, there are a large variety of SATA and SATA RAID controllers to choose from.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Been a busy past week or so.

So I have a SATA PCI RAID card that I installed along with the drivers. When I plug a hard disk into it, it doesn't detect the drive. Should this RAID card work or do I need to get an actual PCI SATA expansion card. (Sorry if I didn't get the terminology right)

Back
Top Bottom