Network problem(DNS)

vaironl

In Runtime
Hello Guys sorry that the title doesn't fully describe my problem but, my house connection is having problems with the DNS. my phone which is a vonage company phone has internet and I can call normally. But on my computer it says my PC is connected to the network, but then it says is not connected to the internet, when i click diagnose problem it says DNS server is having problems blah. and my dad which works for a cable company told me to reset everything and it worked. but what in the future if it doesnt what should I do why does this problem happen?

well, for a home network, you would normally use external DNS servers, probably owned or rented by your ISP. Normally there isn't alot you can do about it other than complain to your ISP or keep resetting everything.

Thanks that can be very helpful.

That's not entirely accurate. You can change your Primary and Secondary DNS settings on your local PC, or on your router (if it supports third party DNS configuration).

Two free options that are trustworthy are OpenDNS and Google DNS.

OpenDNS:
Primary: 208.67.222.222 | Secondary: 207.67.220.220

Google DNS:
Primary: 8.8.8.8 | Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Instructions / Websites:
OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security
Google Public DNS

OpenDNS has features to allow you to track / block /allow sites, and other features if you sign up (which is free for the basic service) and google doesn't require a sign up, but doesn't have any advanced features.

I run OpenDNS on my pfsense gateway system here at home, works great. always fast, and always better than my ISP's DNS.

well, for a home network, you would normally use external DNS servers, probably owned or rented by your ISP. Normally there isn't alot you can do about it other than complain to your ISP or keep resetting everything.

That's not entirely accurate. You can change your Primary and Secondary DNS settings on your local PC, or on your router (if it supports third party DNS configuration).

Two free options that are trustworthy are OpenDNS and Google DNS.

OpenDNS:
Primary: 208.67.222.222 | Secondary: 207.67.220.220

Google DNS:
Primary: 8.8.8.8 | Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Instructions / Websites:
OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security
Google Public DNS

OpenDNS has features to allow you to track / block /allow sites, and other features if you sign up (which is free for the basic service) and google doesn't require a sign up, but doesn't have any advanced features.

I run OpenDNS on my pfsense gateway system here at home, works great. always fast, and always better than my ISP's DNS.

Allright guys I found my problem and this might be a long post but is finally gonna help with the problem.
Ok today I woke at 4am by accident and I could not go back to sleep. Now I'm here trying to go on the internet. I turn on the computer and it tells me my Pc is connected to the network but not to the internet, because of the DNS server. Ok so I have 3 boxes.

box1: Scientific Atlanta modem: which is the internet provider box and external is the Ethernet. ( this box goes to box #2)

box2: Vonage modem: My phone is from vonage and requires internet to function. has 3 cables connected to it ( blue cable is received from the box 1 which is the Ethernet)
(yellow cable is a cable which sends internet to box 3) and a (black cable which is sending i guess internet to the phone or connection you guys know whatever it is to make it work)

box 3: Net gear router: Receives internet from yellow cable from box2.
sends internet to my desktop through a cable. and gives internet to my laptop, itouch, and ps3.

Ok those are just the details of what these components do. sorry for not explaining to much details. Now this is the weird thing I took the modem Ethernet cable and connected it since my network wasn't working and now my Desktop internet is working and the modem frequently sends & receives data.

Now this is where the problem is , or I think. When the internet provder box(box1) sends Ethernet to vonage it's working fine because the house phone can call with no problem but the problem is sending internet to the net gear router, but I don't know what might be messing up the connection from there.

by the way I did a download speed test and it was very fast it was 21mbps for download and 4.17 for upload.
and I downloaded a file of 413mbs which yesterday was taking about 20 minutes and today it took 3, that makes me ask is the net gear routers wireless connection distributing to much to the other devices?

Back
Top Bottom