Anti-Virus detected a trojan - want to see what my options are

bergs4

Beta member
I recently ran Microsoft Security Essentials and it detected and removed about 12 exploits and trojans related to crimepack.class. Since I've read you can never be sure that a virus is totally removed, I would like to reformat the hard drive and do a clean install of windows 7. My problem is, I have an acer aspire and when I called their tech support they said I could only get the reinstall Cd's for $20, otherwise I would have to use a hidden partition on the hard drive to reinstall windows (when I bought the computer new, it was NOT shipped with the windows CD's). I've read that using the hidden partition to reinstall windows is not as secure as reformatting, So, if this is the case, do I have to bite the bullet and pay them to send me the CD's or do I have any other options? Thanks!

wow, easy there.
if it says that the virus is gone, then it is most likly gone.
do you realy think that i will reinstall windows every time i get i virus. NO!!!!

i suppose that you allready have taken an extra scan after you have found those viruses.
if MSE dont find more viruses. then dont worry about it.
you are making a problem out of nothing.

Okay thanks. I ran both malwarebytes and Kapersky (sp?) and both came back negative. So I guess I'm good then.

No, it's really not. It's not really awful or anything, but it's not the best.

I would have to agree. I used it for a while just to test it out and it definitely missed some stuff. Actually, I've been better off just running Malwarebytes and CCleaner on a regular basis with no AV software installed.

I would have to agree. I used it for a while just to test it out and it definitely missed some stuff. Actually, I've been better off just running Malwarebytes and CCleaner on a regular basis with no AV software installed.

Yeah. I'm not really patient enough to manually scan and actively look for virus's like that though. I'm pretty happy with Antivir, it does what I want. It shuts up unless something is wrong, and is there when I need it. It was annoying when I had a false positive though, but I added an exception and haven't had a problem since *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom