Tell me about my build

Hey guys, here is my build

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-990X six-core Extreme Edition [3.46GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]
12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]
2TB RAID 0 (2 x 1TB SATA HDDs) - performance
1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce 460 [2 DVI, mini-HDMI, VGA adapter]
Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
Wireless-N LAN card
15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
Integrated sound
Logitech Wireless Desktop MK710

What do i need to add and what can i change? Thanks

Looks like you went all out. I want your cpu. When you get this thing built make a post on how it runs.

two things i feel i should add

1. If its a work machine, would it need to be joined to a domain? Even if not, sometimes business customers are sort of stuck without Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.

2. GTX 460 at stock speeds is going to be the weakest limb in your machine if it does follow this spec. You might want to consider something in the GTX 500's series, for example an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

two things i feel i should add

1. If its a work machine, would it need to be joined to a domain? Even if not, sometimes business customers are sort of stuck without Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.

2. GTX 460 at stock speeds is going to be the weakest limb in your machine if it does follow this spec. You might want to consider something in the GTX 500's series, for example an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

Nope, when i say work i mean work at home :D

This is the highest video card i can order. It doesn't allow me to choose anymore. Do you think its a good one? for what im going to do? It's the most expensive in the list so i assumed it was the best.

I agree darkseeker. I was just blinded by the cpu. You dont see to many people buying that cpu because its a thousand us dollars.

Well, a GTX 460 is pretty beastly for a card, but it's dwarfed by the rest of your rig. I would say, a good partner for a 990X and 12GB DDR3 would be a Quad SLI but that's rather expensive and unneccessary for you :p

but it should be fine, but i can see if a bottleneck emerging if you any reason you begin gaming on it :D

Well, a GTX 460 is pretty beastly for a card, but it's dwarfed by the rest of your rig. I would say, a good partner for a 990X and 12GB DDR3 would be a Quad SLI but that's rather expensive and unneccessary for you :p

but it should be fine, but i can see if a bottleneck emerging if you any reason you begin gaming on it :D

Nope, doubt i will ever play a game :) Too much work to do.

Is it ok for programs like Visual Studio, Photoshop etc and video editing programs like premiere pro and max 3ds?

Yeah it should be fine for that, and tbh it should play most games anyway xP

i'm just a spec whore when it comes to big PCs xP

Actually, if you'd be interested in this, the GTX 460 would be pretty good at 3D Vision xP Need a 3D monitor though. I often wonder if there will come a time when buildings and structures are designed using VR in Stereoscopic 3d :D

Yeah it should be fine for that, and tbh it should play most games anyway xP

i'm just a spec whore when it comes to big PCs xP

Actually, if you'd be interested in this, the GTX 460 would be pretty good at 3D Vision xP Need a 3D monitor though. I often wonder if there will come a time when buildings and structures are designed using VR in Stereoscopic 3d :D

Thanks for the info. On the flip side adobe just announced Adobe CS 5.5 :) Can't wait.

Should i stick with the

2TB RAID 0 (2 x 1TB SATA HDDs) - performance

or go with the

160GB solid state drive

It's a major drop in space 2 tb -> 160 gb and the price is twice the amount so there must be something to it.

Back
Top Bottom