Currently are there any 3DTVs that allow you to adjust the 3D level?

Thank you

I don't think it'd do anything for TV's to have it.

With games, changing the depth is quite simple.
They just have to move the cameras further apart, so when you are increasing the effect, the game can be rendered differently to counteract the change.
This means that depth will appear right. Objects will be properly adjusted.
This is best done in the 3D engine, not the TV itself.

Fake that 3D effect by simply pulling apart the 2 images that create the depth, and yes, you'll get it coming out at you more, but objects may start to appear wrong, and depth perception will die, because the camera's themselves aren't being pulled apart; Just the 2 frames.
Perspective just wouldn't look right.

I've tried to push anaglyph 3D when I haven't made the original images far apart enough, and it doesn't work at all.

Maybe it'd work in broadcasts, i.e if the cameras somehow recorded Z depth to the frames. Using a convertor on the TV, like some are changing 2D to 3D; they could be used to change the perspective as you pull away the two images, producing a better result.

But you can't have the camera's truly pulled apart for every person in the world who may have a different setting!

Another option would be for them to record with 4 cameras at once. The TV could interpolate between the 4 cameras, so when increasing depth, the TV would receive a different view slightly further apart, which would be a lot more accurate.

You certainly do deserve my thanks as you've been very informative. Those two bozos upstairs (who may know each other) seem to have nothing better to do with their time except to try to pick on those who contribute to this website (including
asking worthwhile questions).

There's not really a "3D level" to be adjusted - as Kage has said you can do various tricks to try and adjust depth but it just won't work properly. 3D works by essentially storing and transmitting frames from two different perspectives, the left eye and the right eye. You can't just magically add another perspective in, at least not until we reach true holographic 3D (which is in the works and closer than a lot of people realise.)

Something else I should have mentioned. Since cameras spaced out at around the same distance the eyes are in 3D, the effect can only be truly replicated to come out closer, on a bigger screen.
Any extra spacing, even of the cameras would produce a few perspective issues our eyes aren't used to seeing, but then again, if you do have a bigger screen, surely you are viewing the images further apart than you would be on a smaller screen... Hmm...

Nothing better to do than spam a forum? Please leave. Or use the damn random chit chat thread!

Random chit chat is for those not looking for a response (which makes me wonder why you don't hang out there with your buddy). Also you don't even know the meaning of spam. Here's Webopedia's definition:

"Electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail. However, if a long-lost brother finds your e-mail address and sends you a message, this could hardly be called spam, even though it's unsolicited. Real spam is generally e-mail advertising for some product sent to a mailing list or newsgroup."

So are you saying that because postings are unsolicited, they're spam? Then your posting by your terms would also count as spam. I would say screw your head on right and start contributing to this website.

There's not really a "3D level" to be adjusted - as Kage has said you can do various tricks to try and adjust depth but it just won't work properly. 3D works by essentially storing and transmitting frames from two different perspectives, the left eye and the right eye. You can't just magically add another perspective in, at least not until we reach true holographic 3D (which is in the works and closer than a lot of people realise.)

Thank you for your response too. Can you enlarge upon "at least not until we reach true holographic 3D (which is in the works and closer than a lot of people realise.)? (btw back in the 70's, I've seen a demo of holographic 3D in my physics laboratory).

Holographic stuff has been around for ages, but holographic TV definitely hasn't. Instead of projecting two discreet images, holographic TV tailors the images projected depending on the location of the eyes (at least this is how the prototypes currently in development work.) It has a number of advantages but a side effect of the way it works means it will be much more flexible for adjusting perspective should it ever be required.

BBC News - Holographic television - the new 3D?

I'm not convinced it'll be quite that soon either, but I don't think late 2012 / early 2013 is that far out of reach. These things generally don't get that widely publicised until they're near the release date and they have some impressive demos going - whilst that one might look good to you and I, average Joe will probably go "that just looks like a crap old display, I'm not interested in that!"

Back
Top Bottom