Choosing a motherboard

honorship

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I'm currently building a new rig, now i just have to decide which mobo to take,
first I'll tell you the other parts I'm getting.
GPU:HD 6950 2gb
4g ram(2x2)
amd phenom ii x4 955
620watt psu
500gb hdd
I mostly just playing some games, and chatting with friends and browsering.
i been thinking to take one of this 2 mobos:
1.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275
2.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128431
Which one of those should I take?
also what is the difference between older models and newer?

Well, since your parts spec is a it vague, ill say your RAM would probably be DDR3 (since it's an AM3 chip) and you need a PCI-e x16 slot and obviously an AM3 socket. the Majority of those boards on those links are 755 (Intel) boards. You need an AMD (Socket AM3) board. Look here:

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
That's a really cheap mobo, you sure it's good?
never actually heard of biostar :S
the Majority of those boards on those links are 755 (Intel) boards.
what do you mean? you are talking about the links that i gave?
they seem like a good mobos.
also what if im gonna do an oc? i dont think this mobo is built for oc.

The suggested products links that you gave were largly Intel 775 motherboards. This is an motherboard for Intel Chips only.

BIOSTAR make some pretty decent boards, although they have been largly overlooked in recent years thanks to Asus.

anyway, give me your budget and ill give you a board that sits well within it.

Well, i'm using that MSI's little brother right now and it seems rock solid sturdy from my point of view (870-C45). So assumably the same is true for the 870-G45.

If you dont intend to use Crossfire/SLI, then go for the Gigabyte. Really, the extra few dollars on the MSI is for the extra expandability.

The biostar and the gigabyte mobos are both 770, the biostar is way cheap, why?
I also think i will take the MSI mobo, it might cost a bit more but it is way better for oc and stuff, also it has a cool design.

^ picking a board based on it's BIOS chip is like picking a girlfriend based on the fact that her lungs are fully functional: Unnecessary unless yours aren't.

90% of BIOS firmwares are basically identical. Its called BASIC I/O for a reason. As long as you can modify Core frequency and multipliers, boot orders and SMART monitoring, most people don't care.

^ so i guess im taking the msi's mobo, will it be good if i will ever want to oc my gpu or cpu?

Back
Top Bottom