the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error- windows vista

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hi, having problem with a vista machine. Upon start up the machine loads boots into windows (vista background) then displays the error message:

Install Windows
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

Even if I go into safe mode I cannot get past this.

I tried using a recovery disk, but no features work (the PC is manufactured by Fijitsu/Siemens so OEM edition of windows most likely). Start up rep, restore etc doesn't work. Only the command prompt.

Interestingly when the pc first boots up at the splash there are white verticle lines to (press f12 to enter BIOS page). Then, while the windows splash is on the lines change to blue. After this, all lines disappear and you get a nice windows vista background (looks normal). After waiting a few seconds the pc gives me the error message as described above. The lines through me... graphics card problem... seems to work fine after the boot screens... hmmm.

Clicking OK makes the screen go black with just a cursor for some seconds, then the computer restarts.

As I'm not at home with my PCB stockpiles I don't have another card to test it with...

Currently I'm torrenting a Windows Vista Install disc to try and reinstall windows. Any other suggestions.

Thanks
Thomas

I got the new installtion CD, when it came to first booting windows I got the same error. Pity I don't have a spare PCI-E card to mess around with...

P.S When I said torrent I didn't mean to steal :) I have a vista legit key

Back
Top Bottom